Help! Can I start new eggs before others hatch??

hmlongino

Songster
13 Years
Jun 12, 2009
Fayetteville, GA
Ok, so I'm a newbie and this is my first hatch. I've candled them and they look great!! But...

The fertile eggs I ordered that should go in after these guys hatch will be getting here too early!! These pips aren't due to hatch until 3/22, but the eggs are showing up mid week next week!!! What should I do??

Can I add the new eggs to a separate part of the turner, then just continue turning them by hand while the others hatch?? Will the humidity be a problem?

Any suggestions would be great. I told the person that I didn't need them until later, but that just isn't going to be the case!!

Thank you for your help!
Holly

You don't really have a choice do you. Ive done it before and it's been fine, during lockdown try not to go in to candle the others.

Best option is to get a second incubator to use as a hatcher. But you can add the new eggs, but then you shouldn't open the incuabtor during lockdown. What I used to do is Add the new eggs to the turner, then remove the racks that held the eggs that went into lockdown, keep the turner on until I got a pip or hit day 21, whichever came first. Then when I turned off the turner, those eggs just didn't get turned for a couple days until the hatch was done, and it seemed to work out ok, but I eventually got a second incubator for use as a hatcher. Just be careful if you do it this way, because if a chick hatches while the turner is still going, it can injure or crush a chick that gets too close.

Last edited:
Alot of people do what is called a staggered hatch. I myself never have but someone should come along and help you out. A stagged hatch is when your hatching in one incubator but have multi eggs on different hatch days.

Quote:
Yes, but this is usually done where they are all started in one incubator, then the eggs that are ready to hatch go into another incubator for hatching.

Thanks, guys! I don't know anyone at all with an incubator... I'm going to come up with some sort of plan though and MAKE THIS WORK!!!!

Urg. This did not go according to plan!

I think I found my solution! We're making a homemade incubator out of an Omaha Steaks styrofoam cooler!! I'm really excited... this will be a place for me to use just for lock down. Yay!

We stagger hatch in a Genesis Hovabator. We remove some racks. We also use a small organizer plastic baskets from Dollar Tree. Take a wire tie and connect two together, then fold one on top of the other to make a covered basket. Works great!

Back
Top Bottom