Help! Can I start new eggs before others hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hmlongino, Mar 12, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Ok, so I'm a newbie and this is my first hatch. I've candled them and they look great!! But...

The fertile eggs I ordered that should go in after these guys hatch will be getting here too early!! These pips aren't due to hatch until 3/22, but the eggs are showing up mid week next week!!! What should I do??

Can I add the new eggs to a separate part of the turner, then just continue turning them by hand while the others hatch?? Will the humidity be a problem?

Any suggestions would be great. I told the person that I didn't need them until later, but that just isn't going to be the case!!

Thank you for your help!
    Holly

2. hmlongino

hmlongino Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Ugh. I'm really nervous about this! Anyone?

3. Higins00

Higins00 Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    You don't really have a choice do you. Ive done it before and it's been fine, during lockdown try not to go in to candle the others.

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Best option is to get a second incubator to use as a hatcher. But you can add the new eggs, but then you shouldn't open the incuabtor during lockdown. What I used to do is Add the new eggs to the turner, then remove the racks that held the eggs that went into lockdown, keep the turner on until I got a pip or hit day 21, whichever came first. Then when I turned off the turner, those eggs just didn't get turned for a couple days until the hatch was done, and it seemed to work out ok, but I eventually got a second incubator for use as a hatcher. Just be careful if you do it this way, because if a chick hatches while the turner is still going, it can injure or crush a chick that gets too close.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Alot of people do what is called a staggered hatch. I myself never have but someone should come along and help you out. A stagged hatch is when your hatching in one incubator but have multi eggs on different hatch days.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd see if I could find another incubator. Do you know someone that will let you borrow one?

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yes, but this is usually done where they are all started in one incubator, then the eggs that are ready to hatch go into another incubator for hatching.

8. hmlongino

hmlongino Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Thanks, guys! I don't know anyone at all with an incubator... I'm going to come up with some sort of plan though and MAKE THIS WORK!!!!

Urg. This did not go according to plan!

9. hmlongino

hmlongino Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I think I found my solution! We're making a homemade incubator out of an Omaha Steaks styrofoam cooler!! I'm really excited... this will be a place for me to use just for lock down. Yay!

10. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    We stagger hatch in a Genesis Hovabator. We remove some racks. We also use a small organizer plastic baskets from Dollar Tree. Take a wire tie and connect two together, then fold one on top of the other to make a covered basket. Works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: