Help - Can you identify this turkey breed?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Goronson Chicks, Oct 14, 2015.

1. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Thank you, I think we did a pretty nice job. It was my husband's idea for the really big run, I'm glad I listened.

2. Goronson Chicks

Goronson Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    Very nice! What size pop door for a turkey?
    M

3. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I think it's 12x16 I'll have to check tomorrow, can't remember, I can close it but I never do unless I'm catching someone.

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Granted I did catch my Blue hen Daisy on the way to work...but dang...how cool is it to have that beautiful blue male pop out of the woods? I've often wondered why Daisy was hanging out in rush hour traffic wish I knew!

5. Goronson Chicks

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    I think our chicken pop door is 12 X 14. Our feed store lady keeps her 2 turkeys in with her chickens and they roost in the henhouse at night. Only problem for us is that our turkey is a male and he has chased (slowly) out bantam rooster with a crossed beak. So I need to work on rooster relations this weekend if they're going to roost in the same house at night and share a run. :))

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some seem to have no problems, but I've never had no luck keeping them together, I raised a pair with a group of chicks years ago, when they were about 5 months and they were toms, they pecked a leghorn rooster skull open, since then I keep mine separate, they chase my chickens sometimes but my chickens can go back to their sheds when the turkeys are out, yours needs company, so hopefully he will behave himself.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  7. Goronson Chicks

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    Oh gosh. That is worrisome. I'll keep you posted on how I do convincing them to get along.. [​IMG]

8. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Mine have separate coops. And runs but free range together.

9. Goronson Chicks

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    That does seem to be better - but how big is your turkey run? and how many in that run? I'm wondering how big mine would need to be for 1?
    M

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If you let him out it doesn't have to be too big, thinking like 8x12, give or take with some free ranging, toms are less active than hens, toms like displaying and walking slowly around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by