Help - Can you identify this turkey breed?

I like the hay idea in the run for winter. Oldhen has a good point about exposure to sun. I would maybe get him a couple hens for company. I would imagine you'd want fairly mature hens. Mine are both last spring hatch and laying eggs.

Yes, she does have a good point. I think one hen is all I could manage to start as we will probably need to build a larger run and house for him.

If we had snow like that down here we'd all be dead! We dont even have snow plows! Our gloves are purely decorative. Mine free range during the day.
With the coyotes you do need to protect him!

Ha, Ha. We all feel half dead by February. Yes, right now at night I put him in the 40 X 60 ft run which is chain link 6 ft tall and overlayed with hardware cloth buried 8 inches into the ground. Partial roof - rest has aviary netting. The 3 coops within are very secure.

I double checked my pophole and it's 14x18.

Thank you for checking that for me. The photos I saw looked larger than 12 X 16. If we build a small house for him and give him a 10 X 20 ft run - do you think that will be adequate? I found him visiting the neighbors next door today. (They are separated from us by small woods.) There were about 12 folks taking photos of him. They were delighted. He is extremely vain.

I walked him back home. Then I began to worry that he might accidentally injure one of the kids if he roams. Although quite gentle with us, I am not that schooled yet, and so unsure of what to expect..

Figured that we should keep him penned while at work and then free when we are home so we can avoid any issues.

Sounds perfect, plus you don't want him wandering off on you and becoming someone else's turkey, he's real pretty.

Sounds perfect, plus you don't want him wandering off on you and becoming someone else's turkey, he's real pretty.

He knows he's pretty and he just craves everyone's admiration. Are they all vain like this? Quite amusing. Ben Franklin said they were a vain and sometimes silly bird. But he still preferred them as the national bird instead of the eagle. :))

Yes all toms think they are pretty, mine display most of the day, the females are a bit more curious and want to explore, I really enjoy my turkeys, though this year's kids are a bit too clingy, I sometimes sneak around when they are out, they want to follow me everywhere. My blue Tom, my other toms,and the kids.

Beautiful flock!

I your Tommy boy sounds like a playa! Have you found a girlfriend for him?

Yes all toms think they are pretty, mine display most of the day, the females are a bit more curious and want to explore, I really enjoy my turkeys, though this year's kids are a bit too clingy, I sometimes sneak around when they are out, they want to follow me everywhere. My blue Tom, my other toms,and the kids.

What a beautiful, healthy flock you have. Thank you for communicating with me about all of this. We want to do what's best for Tommy. He is such a love and has such a soulfull look in his eyes. Silly! :))

Back
Top Bottom