HELP!!!! Canada goose emergency!!!

duckygoose

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
I had a vet that works with the dnr ask me to save a flooded canada goose nest. Eggs were floating airsacup. Amazingly three were good. this was saturday. I havent hatched for 18yrs and have one goose chirping...has been since yesterday at 8am. no outer pip hole yet. Should I give it a breather hole or not. Been so long I cant remember how long they take to hatch from peeping to first outer hole. I candled it and it is definately internally piped into air sac as of 1pm ystrday. Dont want to lose it since I saved it from flood.

I'm too new at this to give advice...just hatched my first rescue eggs a month ago. So, I have no experience to pull from. I do hope someone answers you quickly. Please know that we're pulling for the both of you!

Last edited:
Thanks. I have 17 duck eggs that went under water shortly after being laid. They are now nice vein filled embryos. Ive hatched hundreds of ducks and geese but i always new the egg lay date. This was a big omg what the heck stage are these in and how long have they been under water. 48hrs later they are chirpn. Like a rush order in a drive through. Literaly...pickedthem up floating while manuvering a jon boat. Thanks for help

Thank you Miss Lydia
wink.png

Well that's the first time I've heard it referred to as the Bible of hatchers!!!
wink.png

I have 700 acres of property on an island in the middle of the mississippi river with a ton of backwaters. Spend most everyday out there and lived on that island for 3yrs. We have put up over 200 wood duck boxes and 100 barrel and pole goose nest. Most of which get a 95% hatch rate. I have seen wood duck eggs piled 6 inches high under a hen. 23 eggs to be exact, no turning there and 22 hatched. Southeast iowa lots of farms and hatchers. I havent heard of half that (bible) content. Good outline for help though. Every situation is diferent though. I learn somethn new everyday.

I have 700 acres of property on an island in the middle of the mississippi river with a ton of backwaters. Spend most everyday out there and lived on that island for 3yrs. We have put up over 200 wood duck boxes and 100 barrel and pole goose nest. Most of which get a 95% hatch rate. I have seen wood duck eggs piled 6 inches high under a hen. 23 eggs to be exact, no turning there and 22 hatched. Southeast iowa lots of farms and hatchers. I havent heard of half that (bible) content. Good outline for help though. Every situation is diferent though. I learn somethn new everyday.
Wow now we understand what your up against, the mighty Mississippi was about dried up and is now flooding, goodness I hope your eggs all hatch healthy and safe.
fl.gif

Yeah. Whole diferent ball game here. Only good part is we usually have 2 or 3 hatches in a summer on the island so for the 80 or so nest that went under the hens will re nest. This pic was taken sunday. The far red cabin usually has 20ft of space from bottom to ground. River jumped 12ft in 5 days. What is water is normally my yard. Rest of 700 acres is natural timber and lakes.

Yeah. Whole diferent ball game here. Only good part is we usually have 2 or 3 hatches in a summer on the island so for the 80 or so nest that went under the hens will re nest. This pic was taken sunday. The far red cabin usually has 20ft of space from bottom to ground. River jumped 12ft in 5 days. What is water is normally my yard. Rest of 700 acres is natural timber and lakes.
Wow amazing what water can do, sounds like a beautiful place. we live above mt. river so we are all to familar with how fast the water can rise.

We live by the curver river and yes, it can flood out in nothing flat when we have heavy rains. The good things is we are up on top of the hill but to leave we have to go down the hill and the HYW gets flooded out.

Back
Top Bottom