HELP---Can't Stop Doing Chicken Math!

RileyB

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 7, 2012
NH
So...I know there is already a thread somewhere on the forum for chicken math in general. But I figured I'd start this one to see if anyone else is having a problem with chicken math. Here's what I'm experiencing....

Started on my chicken adventure about a month and a half ago. Wanted 6-8 chickens (was hoping for buff orpingtons and NH reds or RIR). Found an ad and went to pick them up. They ended up being crosses between the breeds I was looking for, and 14 were available. Even though they weren't exactly what I had intended to buy, I came home with all 14. A week later I gave away 8 of them and bought 2 pure Buff Orpingtons (math so far is: 14-8+6=8).

I was doing good with this many chickens for a couple of weeks. However, I had one chick that the other 7 picked on. I had to separate her full time and she was very lonely. I've always wanted a duck, so I got a single rouen to keep her company. They became the best of friends right away. After a week of 8 chicks and one duck I decided I should get more ducks to keep the rouen company. Went to get one runner duck, came home with two. Now I have 8 chicks and three ducks. They're all together in the coop and get along great. The one chick that was previously separated goes everywhere with the three ducks. (I love the ducks, but they are pretty disgusting in the chicken coop.)

Now my husband and I have decided to breed (on a very, very small scale) the buffs. Problem is we only have female buffs. So...now I'm looking for a male buff orpington. In order to do so I'll need to give away my one known cockerel. I really like him, but know I won't be able to keep him if I get a new male. So now I'm rethinking my entire flock...should I give away a few more of the cross breeds? Should I keep all the ducks? How many new pure bred chickens should I get?

In just over a month I am in a full blown chicken math frenzy. Does anyone have advice for such a situation? Now that I've caught the "chicken math", will I ever be satisfied with the actual flock I have?

If you plan to breed on a very small scale, and you are only keeping a flock of under a dozen with limited room, the mixed rooster should go. You'll get a better price for pure breeds than mixed. And yes, getting rid of all the mixes might be a good idea for that reason. Keeping the ducks depends on how much space, time and effort you want to put out. Chicken math is only the rationalization of chicken addicts. If you are truly addicted you will never be satisfied with your current flock.

Sorry...didn't mean for everyone to get so serious. I meant this more as a lighthearted ha-ha kind of post. But I appreciate the advice/insights.

I guess I was more looking for similar stories of people who ended up adjusting their flock after getting certain birds when they first started out. I know that as I've experienced the chickens each day that my perception of exactly what I want in a flock has changed. I am very satisfied with the amount of birds I have...just need to make sure I have the kinds I want for the purposes needed. Also, getting 3 roosters in my batch of 8 chicks really threw a wrench into my plans!

I feel ya! I started out with 25 white leghorn hens over two years ago just for eggs & we have added a mess of different breeds over that timeframe, mostly ones my daughter finds to show for 4-H. We have had several animal massacres and natural causes take most of them & sold some of the leghorns. My other daughter is now showing & enjoys Silkies after we got one last year, so we've added five Silkies over the past few months. Recently I decided I wanted Silver Leghorns, which turned into me wanting to eventually breed them, as well as Lakenvelders (got some Silver Laced Wyandottes & Delawares mixed in the order). I've also taken a liking to Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, but I think I'll hold off on them since we just built a new coop for the chicks that are coming...hubby may have me committed if I get anymore right now! My grand total next week will be around 40, plus three ducks.

Back
Top Bottom