HELP!!! Cedar shavings!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Trevi70, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Trevi70

Trevi70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    Plymouth
    I was cleaning out my henhouse and opened the new bag of shavings my hubby bought. I threw about 5 handfulls in before I realized it was cedar! Somewhere in the back of my brain something was screaming "STOP" so I just mixed the pine shavings that were still in the coop with the few handfulls I threw in. Is this going to be an issue tonight?? I can go get pine shavings tomorrow, I just don't know if it would be better for me to go out there and scoop out all the cedar I put in or just leave it overnight?? Keep in mind it's POURING out right now! (not that that would deter me if it really IS toxic to birds- I've stood out in the pouring rain trying to move the whole chicken pen myself when I realized it had been built in an area that flooded deeper then my SHINS!)

thanks for the advice!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    So, I would wonder how large your coop is and how well ventilated as well as how old your birds are. I know the stuff is very bad for chicks. I can't advise you on this, but perhaps someone else can with a bit more information.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Well, I don't know the right answer, but if it were me, I wouldn't stew too much.

Heck, if it were just a few handfuls, and the coop had good ventilation, I'd stick my head in there and smell it to see if I smelled the cedar or not. If it seemed strong, I'd take it out. If not, I'd probably just mix a whole bunch of pine shavings in and call it done. I use the deep litter method.

I wouldn't recommend leaving it in if it smells a lot, though.

But not in a rainstorm! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I wouldn't worry about it if it was only a few handfuls. An experienced poultry keeper friend of ours (with twenty plus years experience keeping chickens) uses a handful of cedar shavings in the bottom of his nestboxes to deter mites (with pine shavings on the top). His hens hatch out chicks in these nestboxes, too.

I just wouldn't use cedar shavings only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by