Help, chewed feathers??

aemore24

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2016
Hi everyone :) I'm new here, from slatington, pa. My sister@emorems0 got me all set up with my girls back in oct, I've been loving it!!! One of my girls is having some feather issues though. The feathers on her back are looking chewed off maybe? And the fluffy stuff underneath is exposed. Same thing happening on the fluffy butt area. Any clues what this could be ftom?
I brushed the snow off but it really sticks to the fluffy stuff :p

I think so. They are on an organic layer feed with lots of of scraps form the kitchen.

If one of the v other birds is feather plucking/eating, do they normally just prey on one bird or would others also be showing the same signs?

Lots of table scraps may be low in protein. I read recommendations of giving no more than 10% of their food to be other than the layer feed. Yes, if the problem is a feather eater....they would most likely pick the same victim. There are several other possible causes.

Lots of table scraps may be low in protein. I read recommendations of giving no more than 10% of their food to be other than the layer feed. Yes, if the problem is a feather eater....they would most likely pick the same victim. There are several other possible causes.
what other causes would you say it could be???

*UPDATE* it is in fact feather picker/eaters. I caught 4 of my girls in the act and they are now preying on a second girl as well :-(

How can I stop this behavior? ??

So far I picked up a big bag of black oil sunflower seeds to help with their protein. How much of this should I be feeding?

Back
Top Bottom