Help Chick born with unhealed abdomen GROSS PICS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AussieSharon, Apr 24, 2008.

1. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I saw a post recently of a chick with the same problem as mine but cannot find it for the life of me.

I had a Welsummer chick pip at the wrong end. It finally made it almost out but it's abdomen area has a large area ( about the size of a dime ) that is not healed. It is slightly protruded and the yolk is mostly absorbed but the chick is still attached to the end of the shell. I'm not sure what to do for it, it's still in the bator. 10 others hatched just fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I don't know how to help, but I just wanted to support you by replying. Someone will get up soon and reply!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Leave the chick in the bator to help it absorb the yolk...I had one like this last week and left mine in over night... sorry to say mine didn't heal and I had to cull... but don't give up hope just yet...I took all the other chicks out so they wouldn't peck at him...

4. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks so much. I'm not holding a lot of hope but will leave him/her in the bator by themselves and see if it heals. Fingers crossed.

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I had a BO hatch a few weeks ago with an unabsorbed yolk sac, but it's tummy wasn't swollen. Do what tuffoldhen says and leave it in the incubator a little longer. Then if it doesn't absorb it all the way try to keep the navel clean. Someone else had it happen and they made a bandage diaper for it to keep it covered. Mine was to feisty to stay still long enough for me to do that. I kept it seperated w/ a stuffed animal. It never absorbed the whole yolk sac, but is still here today and very feisty. It's now running w/ the rest of the crew. I think it's a 50/50 chance when they are hatched that way. Good luck! Hope this helps.

Kim

6. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    updated with pics.

7. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope the little one heals [​IMG]

8. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    We have had LOTS hatch like this unfortunately. But there is hope! We have only lost a small percentage of these chicks. What we do is get a q-tip that is wet (warm water) and gently ease the intestines back into the abdominal cavity. Hold it there for several minutes or until the skin closes around the intestines. Believe it or not, this does not take very long at all.

*** DO NOT use liquid bandage. We did this on the first few chicks that had this, and we lost all but one due to the bandage leaking down the belly and closing the vent.

Hopefully this has been helpful to you [​IMG]

9. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Sharon I am keeping my fingers crossed on this little guy!! Good luck and let us know how he fares. [​IMG]

10. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks for all the good wishes. ChicknThief I'll give the Qtip a try. Will keep everyone updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by