Help Chick born with unhealed abdomen GROSS PICS!

AussieSharon

Songster
12 Years
Dec 18, 2007
Virginia
I saw a post recently of a chick with the same problem as mine but cannot find it for the life of me.

I had a Welsummer chick pip at the wrong end. It finally made it almost out but it's abdomen area has a large area ( about the size of a dime ) that is not healed. It is slightly protruded and the yolk is mostly absorbed but the chick is still attached to the end of the shell. I'm not sure what to do for it, it's still in the bator. 10 others hatched just fine.

24april2008007-1.jpg

24april2008008-1.jpg

Last edited:
Leave the chick in the bator to help it absorb the yolk...I had one like this last week and left mine in over night... sorry to say mine didn't heal and I had to cull... but don't give up hope just yet...I took all the other chicks out so they wouldn't peck at him...

Thanks so much. I'm not holding a lot of hope but will leave him/her in the bator by themselves and see if it heals. Fingers crossed.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I had a BO hatch a few weeks ago with an unabsorbed yolk sac, but it's tummy wasn't swollen. Do what tuffoldhen says and leave it in the incubator a little longer. Then if it doesn't absorb it all the way try to keep the navel clean. Someone else had it happen and they made a bandage diaper for it to keep it covered. Mine was to feisty to stay still long enough for me to do that. I kept it seperated w/ a stuffed animal. It never absorbed the whole yolk sac, but is still here today and very feisty. It's now running w/ the rest of the crew. I think it's a 50/50 chance when they are hatched that way. Good luck! Hope this helps.

Kim

We have had LOTS hatch like this unfortunately. But there is hope! We have only lost a small percentage of these chicks. What we do is get a q-tip that is wet (warm water) and gently ease the intestines back into the abdominal cavity. Hold it there for several minutes or until the skin closes around the intestines. Believe it or not, this does not take very long at all.

*** DO NOT use liquid bandage. We did this on the first few chicks that had this, and we lost all but one due to the bandage leaking down the belly and closing the vent.

Hopefully this has been helpful to you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom