HELP! chick got stuck betw feeder & wall

JlovesPHXtheGSD

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2024
Help one of my bielefelder chickc got stuck between the feeder and the wall of the brooder over night. She was a bit lethargic prior to this but now she seems very weak. She is getting walked on by the others. She will still chirp if I pick her up but there is no resistance. I tried to give her egg yolk but she didn't really seem interested. I put her beak in in so she had a taste too. Should I isolate her to try to let her recuperate? HELP! (First time raising chicks)

How old is the chick? Try to give fluids every half hour or so, watered egg yolk or some sugar water or electrolites, alternate with plain fresh water. I hold small chicks in my hand with their beak resting in the crease of my finger and drip the water down the crease to the tip of their beak, they will swallow it. Slow but it works. Give as much as the chick will take each time (make it room temperature to slightly warm, not cold). Make sure the chick is warm, it could have gotten chilled while stuck in there if it was away from the heat source. I often carry weak chicks in a neckerchief around my neck, like a tiny hammock, resting against my upper chest, until they strengthen enough to be in the brooder with others. They can hear you talk or hum, which comforts them, and they can feel your warmth. Watch for pasty butt which can happen if they've gotten chilled.

How old is the chick? Try to give fluids every half hour or so, watered egg yolk or some sugar water or electrolites, alternate with plain fresh water. I hold small chicks in my hand with their beak resting in the crease of my finger and drip the water down the crease to the tip of their beak, they will swallow it. Slow but it works. Give as much as the chick will take each time (make it room temperature to slightly warm, not cold). Make sure the chick is warm, it could have gotten chilled while stuck in there if it was away from the heat source. I often carry weak chicks in a neckerchief around my neck, like a tiny hammock, resting against my upper chest, until they strengthen enough to be in the brooder with others. They can hear you talk or hum, which comforts them, and they can feel your warmth. Watch for pasty butt which can happen if they've gotten chilled.
she was hatched on the 7th. they arrived to us via usps on the 9th.

OK, very young. If she was truly stuck, then she may be chilled and dehydrated, do as I posted above. It's also possible that she's dealing with shipping stress, and was trying to hide when she got wedged in there. Sometimes when they are so small it's hard to know for sure what is going on. Some don't recover from shipping stress, and some have unknown internal issues from incubation, development or hatch, and just aren't meant to be. Shipping stress is very common in shipped chicks. All we can do is try. Hydration and keeping her temperature regulated are the most important things right now. If you can, give her fluids, set her under the heat source for a bit while you supervise, so she's not trampled, repeat. If she's able to move herself in and out of the heat source that's good, if not, then try to do periods to get her warmed up, and then hold her against your body like I describe above. I've carried chicks for 2 or 3 days like that on occasion. Some bounce back like nothing ever happened, some don't.

OK, very young. If she was truly stuck, then she may be chilled and dehydrated, do as I posted above. It's also possible that she's dealing with shipping stress, and was trying to hide when she got wedged in there. Sometimes when they are so small it's hard to know for sure what is going on. Some don't recover from shipping stress, and some have unknown internal issues from incubation, development or hatch, and just aren't meant to be. Shipping stress is very common in shipped chicks. All we can do is try. Hydration and keeping her temperature regulated are the most important things right now. If you can, give her fluids, set her under the heat source for a bit while you supervise, so she's not trampled, repeat. If she's able to move herself in and out of the heat source that's good, if not, then try to do periods to get her warmed up, and then hold her against your body like I describe above. I've carried chicks for 2 or 3 days like that on occasion. Some bounce back like nothing ever happened, some don't.
Can I separate and either use the mama heating pad for her or maybe just put the heating pad down and her lay on it? The others have a heat lamp.

Can I separate and either use the mama heating pad for her or maybe just put the heating pad down and her lay on it? The others have a heat lamp.
Good suggestions and detailed instructions from @coach723 at POST#3 and POST#5 Re-read those if necessary.

If you feel she needs separated, then yes do that. Mama heating pad cave/cover would be better than just laying her on the heating pad, especially if she's unable to move from heat by herself. She will need to be closely monitored so she's not over heating.

Work on getting drops of fluid into her.

Hopefully she will come around. I've had chicks get stuck in places and they bounced back fine. Others, especially Quail chicks which are notorious for getting themselves in a pickle have not made it. Often, it's a matter of how much they struggled, how stuck they were, what position they got stuck in and how long they had been stuck as to whether they make it or not.

Do re-check your brooder setup so something like this is avoided, but knowing chicks, if there's a way to get into trouble, they will find it. Photos of the little one and your brooder are always welcome.

Good suggestions and detailed instructions from @coach723 at POST#3 and POST#5 Re-read those if necessary.

If you feel she needs separated, then yes do that. Mama heating pad cave/cover would be better than just laying her on the heating pad, especially if she's unable to move from heat by herself. She will need to be closely monitored so she's not over heating.

Work on getting drops of fluid into her.

Hopefully she will come around. I've had chicks get stuck in places and they bounced back fine. Others, especially Quail chicks which are notorious for getting themselves in a pickle have not made it. Often, it's a matter of how much they struggled, how stuck they were, what position they got stuck in and how long they had been stuck as to whether they make it or not.

Do re-check your brooder setup so something like this is avoided, but knowing chicks, if there's a way to get into trouble, they will find it. Photos of the little one and your brooder are always welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 8
This is our current brooder set up. We will be moving to something bigger in around a week. I was going to put my weak one in her own brooder but am struggling to find something big enough for the MHP since we don’t have two of the heat lamps. So I picked a big salad clam shell out of recycling and she is inside that within the brooder with her own food and water. I’ve taken her out a few times to dip her beak in electrolyte water today so far. I’ve seen her stand and when I’ve picked her up she still chirped a little but doesn’t fight at all. Most of the time she looks to be sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom