Weak chick

Greta123

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2024
I have a chick I got on Thursday, she's not growing like the other ones. Today she seems very weak and I've noticed her laying on the ground and not getting up a ccouple times. Her crop is empty. What can I do to help her?

Do you have Poultry NutriDrench that you could give 2-3 drops daily, and dip her beak into water several times an hour? Make some mushy chick feed and water, and offer some raw egg that has been whipped with a fork. Check her vent for pasty butt, and remove any if necessary. What temperature is your brooder?

Do you have Poultry NutriDrench that you could give 2-3 drops daily, and dip her beak into water several times an hour? Make some mushy chick feed and water, and offer some raw egg that has been whipped with a fork. Check her vent for pasty butt, and remove any if necessary. What temperature is your brooder?
Thank you! I'm not sure the temperature, but I increased the heat. I dripped some electrolyte water on her beak and kept her against my body for awhile and now she is eating and moving around in the brooder.

Most chicks will avoid the heat lamp moving to the outside of the brooder away from the lamp if it is too warm. Watch for panting or pasty butt if they are too warm. I would try to get a cheap thermometer at the feed store or Walmart to lay on the floor. I never raise chicks without one. Some use the heat plates which takes the guess work out of temperatures, but they do best in a warm enough room, not outside in a cold coop. Let us know how the weak chick gets along.

Back
Top Bottom