IMG_3420.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3423.jpeg
    IMG_3423.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3422.jpeg
    IMG_3422.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 3
In the picture it doesn't look like they have much room to move in and out of the heat source. Chicks must be able to move in and out to regulate their temperatures, too hot and too cold are both problems that can cause losing chicks. Until they are older and feathered out, they cannot regulate their temperature any other way. The clam shell container may very well get too warm, I would be very, very careful with that. If she doesn't drink when you dip her beak then try dripping it onto the beak, see if you can get it to run in and if she will swallow. Getting her hydrated is very important.

Try not to feel guilty, things happen. Some of them just aren't meant to be and can't be saved no matter how hard you try. It's very hard to know when they are so small. It's very sad to lose the babies, but it happens. It may have had nothing to do with anything you did or didn't do. Try to enjoy your remaining chicks. I'm very sorry for your loss, I know it's very hard, and sad, to lose a little one. :hugs

Yes, things happen, and this is sad. I'm sorry for your loss.

What would be sadder is if it happened again. Look at everything in your brooder set up, and with the knowledge of what can (and did) happen, you will know how to make a safer set up.

This is our current brooder set up. We will be moving to something bigger in around a week. I was going to put my weak one in her own brooder but am struggling to find something big enough for the MHP since we don’t have two of the heat lamps. So I picked a big salad clam shell out of recycling and she is inside that within the brooder with her own food and water. I’ve taken her out a few times to dip her beak in electrolyte water today so far. I’ve seen her stand and when I’ve picked her up she still chirped a little but doesn’t fight at all. Most of the time she looks to be sleeping.
I'm so sorry you lost her, don't beat yourself up. :hugs

Try to enjoy the other chicks, they need you to care for them.

If possible, I'd try to make a larger space for them now instead of waiting for a week. Chicks grow fast and they will be more comfy having room to rouse about.

Do you have a store like Dollar General, Walmart, etc., near you? If so, ask if you can have a few boxes that toilet paper or paper towels come in. Dollar General especially will tell you, go for it, they have a box dumpster around the side of the store and you can just pick out big boxes.
I've used paper towel/toilet paper boxes many times for brooders, you can expand as the chicks get bigger, just tape some boxes together to make a corral. For flooring, I put down a good layer of thick black trash bags or plastic. Then place puppy pads down with some shavings on top or you can just use several layers of puppy pads and each day just pull up one puppy pad or whatever is heavily soiled and you've cleaned the brooder:)

When using a lamp, make sure it's very secure so it doesn't fall and cause a fire. I prefer using a heating pad cave (Mama Heating Pad) or brooder plates.

Keep food/water on the cool side of your brooder. You have rocks in your water station which is very smart, this helps prevent chicks from drowning. Your feeder is good too, it can accommodate several chicks at a time and is designed to help lessen feed waste.

Overall, your brooder looks good, just a bit cramped, so having some more room will be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom