HELP Chick has a swollen knee!

FSantana

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
Portugal
Please help...
This 20 hour old chick appears to have a swollen knee. I have no idea what this could be this never happened to me before.
If someone could help it would be amazing! I'm really worried about him...

imagem_2023-09-27_172734941.png

1695832284224.png

Attachments

• 1695832089259.png
    1695832089259.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 1695832084929.png
    1695832084929.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
I'm sorry no one ever answered your thread.
I really don't know how to help or what is wrong with your poor chick.
hopefully some other members will answer you.:hugs

Hello.
Does your chick have any infection or pus?
It could be bumblefoot.
Symptoms of bumblefoot include:
  • Swelling in and around the toes, bottom of feet and occasionally legs.
  • Stretched and baggy skin.
  • A black spot on the sole of the foot can be an early sign.
  • Pus build-up in hard pockets which can burst through the skin.
You can try to soak his leg in warm water with epsom salt.
You should also try putting oregano or calendula in his food because they are anti inflammatory.
Let me know know if he's doing any better!

Last edited:
Hello.
Does your chick have any infection or pus?
You can try to soak his leg in warm water with epsom salt.
You should also try putting oregano or calendula in his food because they are anti inflammatory.
Let me know know if he's doing any better!
I don't quite know but it looks like it is infected, it is really red and swollen and I think I can barely see a really small cut but I'm not sure if it event is a cut.
Okay, I will try to give him some egg gem with oregano and see if it helps. Thank you for the help...

I don't quite know but it looks like it is infected, it is really red and swollen and I think I can barely see a really small cut but I'm not sure if it event is a cut.
Okay, I will try to give him some egg gem with oregano and see if it helps. Thank you for the help...
I hope he gets better soon!:hugs

Is there any chance you can upload a photo (or, better yet a video to YouTube/ rumble/ etc and post a link) of the baby standing/ walking?

Is an avain vet an option for you?

The fact that there appears to be bruising makes me feel like it’s more likely an injury. Esp because I also see the “cut”

Is this baby w a broody, or in a brooder?
If not w mama, what is the surface of/ footing in your brooder like?

Is the baby able to get around at all?
Eating/ drinking?

I saw your recent reply- are you also noticing any heat in the affected joint?

I’d start w an Epsom salt soak. Honestly for a chick that small, I’d probably dissolve the Epsom salt into a bowl of warm water, put a towel on the “treatment area”, fold up a paper towel, hold around the “hock”, and re dip, re apply every few minutes with a goal of hitting 10-15m at the minimum.
I would also add vitamin B and E to the baby’s feed/ water.
Durvet B concentrate (it’s an injectable for cows but can be administered orally, over treats, or in water, if the baby is drinking.... I would need to look up dosage...Amazon or most local feed stores carry it)
I was using 1ml over soldier fly larvae for a 4 week old duckling last time I did the math on it.... but your baby is smaller so let us know if we need to look up the dosage.
Or.
Nutritional yeast on the feed can help as a vitamin B supplement, or 1/4 tablet B Complex crushed plus 400IU Vitamin E daily along with a bit of egg (I would cook a yolk or two and add the vitamins and offer first to the baby in question- and let the others finish off any leftovers).
The B Complex is for capillary health and leg support, and the E is for neural support.

This thread might help you as well
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages.68093/

@Eggcessive @Miss Lydia
....anything you can think of that I’ve missed? Or that I’m wrong about?

Can the leg extend out like the other one? Wondering if it’s a slipped tendon?

just in case this is what it is.https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/treating-a-chick-with-a-slipped-tendon-one-chick%E2%80%99s-story.69353/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom