Help! Chick has some bloody poop!

Isyovi

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
The Netherlands
So this chick is around 2 to 3 weeks old, since we got her she has some poopy butt problems and has a vent that is a bit swollen, but her poop was normal after having some slimey poop issues. We finally got some epsom salt yesterday and we did a bath in it hoping it would help for a possible infection. When i went to clean their tub where my 4 chicks stayed in i noticed some bloody poop. I watched them all carefully and found out that the one with the bloody poop is the one that has problems with her vent. I did another epsom salt bath in the hopes of it getting better of that. I couldnt take pictures of it but the blood was more on the outside of the poop then inside and it wasn't as bad as it was in the tub. Can it be a infected vent or something? Or is it coccidosis? I can make pictures tomorrow of the poop. She eats and drinks well and just acts normal. This picture i took yesterday and i think she looks normal.

Attachments

• 20200421_200636.jpg
    20200421_200636.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 8
If you see another poop that is bloody, take a picture. Symptoms of coccidiosis can be lethargy, weakness, not eating, hunched or puffed up posture, and runny poops, in some cases bllod in poop. The usual treatment is amprollium, coxoid, sulfa antibiotics, or toltrazuril, most of which may come from a veterinarian in your area. Since amprollium is fairly mild, and not an antibiotic, it would not be harmful to go ahead and treat the chicks.

If you see another poop that is bloody, take a picture. Symptoms of coccidiosis can be lethargy, weakness, not eating, hunched or puffed up posture, and runny poops, in some cases bllod in poop. The usual treatment is amprollium, coxoid, sulfa antibiotics, or toltrazuril, most of which may come from a veterinarian in your area. Since amprollium is fairly mild, and not an antibiotic, it would not be harmful to go ahead and treat the chicks.
I will do tomorrow. They all eat well and don't seem to be weak or anything. Because of the virus some veterinarians are closed and we need to watch out. I will make a picture tomorrow if it's still bloody and i will post it here. Tanks for the advise!

This morning i heard another chick got it too, so it's most likely coccidosis. They still eat and everything but we need to go to the vet. I think we are quite early so it should be no problem. The problem is that they eat each others poop as well so that is how it spreads.

Back
Top Bottom