1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP - chick out of shell with yolk

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by courtshep, May 13, 2009.

1. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    Chick is out of shell, but there is still yolk attached to it. What should I do? Will he live?

2. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Stick it in the incubator or brooder with a warm moist towel and wait. I had 2 like that and neighther made it but plenty of others have. Good vibes being sent your way [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Wrap it's bottom half in a damp warm paper towel and leave it in the incubator until it absorbs it. So long as the yolk doesn't rupture they generally make it.

4. courtshep

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    thank you! I'm kind of freaking out!

5. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    Please explain what it means if the yolk is still attached and why that is bad? Where is it attached?

6. newfromMN

newfromMN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Minnesota
    This happened to me two weeks ago. Mine are happy healthy chicks running around. I just rinsed the chick in warm water at the sink because I read something about the risk of yolk sac infection and then dried them off with paper towel and laid them under light in brooder to dry. I had them lying on cloth, not shavings or anything. What didn't get reabsorbed just dried up. Make sure the other chicks don't pick at it because they will. I had to keep those chicks seperate.

7. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    courtshep I hope the best for your little guy. He'll be good I think, I mean I hope, what do I know. But sending you great vibes. Im on the other thread you replied about brown ooz and cracked shell for 12 hours now and nothing??? Anyways hope all goes great!!!!

8. courtshep

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    thanks guys. I took the little guy out and put him under a light. That yolk looks like it is part of his body. I guess I never really knew what happened when a chick hatched, regarding the yolk. I had one hatch this morning with no problem, and another almost out. I don't feel too positive about my other eggs (no pips yet) because the elec. went out two times during this incubation! The last time it went out was on day 17. It was out for 12 hours. I was at my Mom's for the night (mother's day!) so my husband was home. There was nothing to do but see what happens. I'm not sure how much temp. affects hatching on day 17, but I guess I'm lucky I have at least one!

9. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Oh don't give up yet, Hopefully this little one will pull thru, & give the others some more time. Who knows what will happen. Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by