1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help chick out of shell??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bobby65, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Bobby65

Bobby65 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Sw ranches fl
    How long do you give a chick to get out of the shell after they make the hole before you help them? And how would you help it out?

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Unless you are positive they are shrink wrapped due to proven low humidity, let them do it themselves. I have had a chick pip and then take 3 days to get out. Struggling and fighting their way out of the egg makes them strong and ready for life.

Don't help unless you absolutely have to. Keep that humidity up and sit on your hands.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Chicks take up to 24 to complete a hatch from pipping through the shell, though some are quicker and some take longer, like the above poster's chick. I wouldn't intervene unless it's clear the chick needs help, so leave it a few hours and just check on it now and then. If it's moving and cheeping it's o.k. When it shows signs of getting weak you could think about helping. Sally Sunshine put together a brilliant article on assisted hatches. Have a look:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by