Help! Chick rejected after it hatched!

When you attempt putting a chick back you have to monitor the situation. If the hen clearly don't want it don't force her to accept the chick. You will have to raise it yourself in a brooder indoors.

Chickens can be a bit weird sometimes. You might have to raise lil’ orphan Annie on your own. She’ll be a rebel and start hangin’ with the crows and pidgins just tryin’ to fit in.
Seriously though, it sounds like you’ve tried all you can to get her back into the clutch, I’m out of suggestions and ideas.
Keep us updated on how things work out, please.

When you attempt putting a chick back you have to monitor the situation. If the hen clearly don't want it don't force her to accept the chick. You will have to raise it yourself in a brooder indoors.
Thank you for the input. I already have the chick and one fertile egg in a safe place with a heat lamp.

I can ONLY tell you how I’d handle the same situation. Continuing to get the hen to accept the chick is likely a bad idea now. It needs consistent warmth and close monitoring for its own safety. Every time the hen rejects it, you run a greater risk of it being killed by a hen or from getting cold. Keep it in the brooder (it has the best chance with you now), and I think it’s important to add another chick or 2 for companionship… if you can get them. Don’t worry about it not eating yet. It still has the yolk to sustain it for a day or 2. It’s drinking on its own. Continue to tap at the food, and it will learn to eat when it’s ready. I hope all goes well for your chick. Please continue to update us… and post photos. ❤️

I can ONLY tell you how I’d handle the same situation. Continuing to get the hen to accept the chick is likely a bad idea now. It needs consistent warmth and close monitoring for its own safety. Every time the hen rejects it, you run a greater risk of it being killed by a hen or from getting cold. Keep it in the brooder (it has the best chance with you now), and I think it’s important to add another chick or 2 for companionship… if you can get them. Don’t worry about it not eating yet. It still has the yolk to sustain it for a day or 2. It’s drinking on its own. Continue to tap at the food, and it will learn to eat when it’s ready. I hope all goes well for your chick. Please continue to update us… and post photos.
I have my fingers crossed so far, the second hen who rejected it has hatched one chick out of the 15 eggs she's been sitting on. I'm not sure if any more will hatch, I have one fertile egg with the chick in the brooder, I hope it hatches because the rejected chick seems really lonely and starts crying whenever I leave the room. I might have to buy it a sibling or two if no more chicks hatch. The breed of the chick is silkie and it hatched under a Frizzle, does that mean anything?

I have my fingers crossed so far, the second hen who rejected it has hatched one chick out of the 15 eggs she's been sitting on. I'm not sure if any more will hatch, I have one fertile egg with the chick in the brooder, I hope it hatches because the rejected chick seems really lonely and starts crying whenever I leave the room. I might have to buy it a sibling or two if no more chicks hatch. The breed of the chick is silkie and it hatched under a Frizzle, does that mean anything?
No, don’t be concerned about what breed the mother is. I’ve had my Seramas and Mille Fleur d’Uccles hatch each others eggs (Silkie and Sebright chicks also), and I’ve never had issues. This is just one of those rare situations, where the hen didn’t take to the chick for any of a number of reasons. That’s a very fortunate little chick to have you care so much for him/her. ☺️

No, don’t be concerned about what breed the mother is. I’ve had my Seramas and Mille Fleur d’Uccles hatch each others eggs (Silkie and Sebright chicks also), and I’ve never had issues. This is just one of those rare situations, where the hen didn’t take to the chick for any of a number of reasons. That’s a very fortunate little chick to have you care so much for him/her. ☺️
thank you :)

UPDATE: The chick is looking much healthier, it has fluffed up completely and is starting to be a bit more active. I can now tell the chick is a cross of maybe a frizzle and a small bantam silkie, in a few weeks I'll post photos for help with gender and breed. She definitely has silkie in her though, as our rooster is a Sizzle (Frizzle x Silkie). The chick is eating and drinking now. Seems attracted to the colour red? :fl its a girl.

It keeps pecking at anything red, is this normal?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom