Help! Chick rejected after it hatched!

CrazyFrizzle

Chirping
Dec 26, 2023
I have two hens sitting on eggs currently, one of them had a chick hatch under her. She got off the nest and hid in the corner, staring at the poor thing. I gently picked up the chick and put her underneath the second broody hen, fingers crossed she would take it. The hen stared at it and would not let the chick under her, by now it was crawling around and I was so scared it wouldn't survive. I now have it in a show box wrapped up in a wheat bag that I heated in the microwave. It's stopped crying and looks like its sleeping. it's only about 1 hour old, what should I do next?

Did she go back to the other eggs after you removed the chick?
I would wait until another hatches, or one hatches on the 2nd broody, then try to put the chick back under.
We’ve had hens shun chicks and another broody took to it, and had a broody hatch one and get killed on the nest, but another broody took the chick in and hatched her own with it in the nest.

Where is the mother?
Can you post pictures?
Have the other eggs started to hatch?
Has she been on the eggs the normal amount of time?
Is she a first time broody hen?
The other eggs have not started to hatch, but I checked them and three aren't fertile, the last one is and I put it back under her. She tried to kick it out so now I have the egg with the chick under a heat lamp. She has been on eggs for the normal 21-25 days that I normally see with my hens. She is not a first time broody but is a first time mother

Wait until the two broodies are in their sleeping/catatonic state after dark tonight and slip the rejected chick under the second broody. She should accept it.
It was about 7:00 when I discovered the chick away from its mother, I tried to slip it under the other hen but it crawled back out and the hen wouldn't let it back in. I was afraid she would crush the eggs so now I have the chick under a heat lamp with one other fertile egg.

Did she go back to the other eggs after you removed the chick?
I would wait until another hatches, or one hatches on the 2nd broody, then try to put the chick back under.
We’ve had hens shun chicks and another broody took to it, and had a broody hatch one and get killed on the nest, but another broody took the chick in and hatched her own with it in the nest.
she didn't go back to the eggs, and earlier that day two other hens (both not broody) came in and interrupted her, one egg was cracked, luckily it wasn't fertile. The hen that the chick hatched under didn't really want to go back to the nest so I had to catch her and place her on the nest. A few hours later I saw the little chick shivering and her mother was just standing there staring at it. This chook is really shy so as soon as I put my hand (with the chick in it) near her nest she squawks a lot and almost crushes the eggs. I then put her under a different broody hen when it was a bit darker and she was falling asleep. But the chick didn't recognize her clucks so she tried to escape the nest so the second broody wouldn't let her back in. All but one of the other eggs where the chick hatched were not fertile. One was and it was kicked out by the same hen she hatched under. I now have the chick and the egg under a heat lamp. Is this okay? I could see today that one egg had a crack in it and I could hear it cheeping. I will try and slip the egg and chick under that hen when her other chicks hatch.

The other eggs have not started to hatch, but I checked them and three aren't fertile, the last one is and I put it back under her. She tried to kick it out so now I have the egg with the chick under a heat lamp. She has been on eggs for the normal 21-25 days that I normally see with my hens. She is not a first time broody but is a first time mother
chicks have hatched under her before so I'm not sure why she's so confused

Chickens can be a bit weird sometimes. You might have to raise lil’ orphan Annie on your own. She’ll be a rebel and start hangin’ with the crows and pidgins just tryin’ to fit in.
Seriously though, it sounds like you’ve tried all you can to get her back into the clutch, I’m out of suggestions and ideas.
Keep us updated on how things work out, please.

Chickens can be a bit weird sometimes. You might have to raise lil’ orphan Annie on your own. She’ll be a rebel and start hangin’ with the crows and pidgins just tryin’ to fit in.
Seriously though, it sounds like you’ve tried all you can to get her back into the clutch, I’m out of suggestions and ideas.
Keep us updated on how things work out, please.
sure, she seems to have fluffed up a bit now and is drinking. I haven't seen her eat though.

Back
Top Bottom