HELP Chick with Impacted/Sour Crop and broken wing!

Quailbuddy

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Sonoma County CA
HELP Chick with Crop and Maybe broken wing!
My 3 day old BR has been trying to get out of there brooder... she runs and trys to squeeze through the bars and today i saw her try and she got stuck... She had her head and both wings through the small rectangle in the wire ( my brooder has wire sides but has towels on 3 out of the 4 sides to keep in heat... so anyway i ttried to help her get back through because she was squirming and cheeping like crazy! we ggot her back through the wire but now the holds one wing not al the way to her side and her Crop ( i think its called their crop, its like where her chest is ) is really bug and puffy. All the other chicks were alseep but she has been pacing the door and cheeping like crazy and because she cant ssee out she runs and trys to climb/fy up the wall ! I took her out to hold her but she is just cheeping and cheeping so i put her back and now shes still pacing! What do i do?
DOES SHE HAVE A BROKEN WING ?
sad.png

WHY IS HER CROP SOOO BIG AND PUFFY? DOES SHE HAVE A SOUR? IMPACTED CROP?
I am a first time chicken owner and i just brought her home today I am so worried and concerned! What do i do to help her?
hit.gif

***UPDATE: she has white watery foamy almost bubbly poop. Its more air than anything. HELP!
UPDATE #2: i felt her crop and it it kind of like squishy... what do i do?

Last edited:
Her crop sounds normal - you don't want it to be too solid/hard. If she's only 3 days old, and you're feeding her baby chick feed, she should be fine as far as the crop goes. As far as I know (I started chickens this year, but grew up with them until I was 18, I'm 27 now)...

I would say if her cage bars are spaced big enough for her to get stuck in them, they need to be smaller...try lining it with hardware cloth from local hardware store like Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, or the like...if they can't squeeze through it even possibly, then you won't have to worry about future wing issues...maybe instead of using the towel for sides, as she is distressed by not being able to see out, 1/2" by 1/2" hardware cloth for sides may help keep her in, but may allow her to not feel claustrophobic by not being able to see out...

That being said, you sound like you may currently have a wing issue. I'm not an expert as I'm fairly new at this "on my own" but I would say that you would want to keep the chick isolated if you have other birds, observe...see if it is sort of "favoring" the wing...or how it behaves with that wing as opposed to the other wing. You may end up needing to wrap it with medical tape, possibly with a splint depending on how it looked, for a little while? And if it looks like it's bleeding at all, be prepared with antibiotics for the water (I used Tetramycin Hydrochloride in water for my own issue) IF an infection seems to have set - you don't want to use antibiotics over-aggressively as it can cause resistance...

Just a guess...if I were you, and based upon what you've written, if I was in that boat and hadn't found much info yet, that is probably what I would do...

Quote:
okay thank you so much! I will keep an eye on her and make some adjustments to her housing... my only problem seperating her is that i only have one heat lamp and i could block off some of the brooder but then i worry about her being able to see the others but not being able to get to them and that stressing her out...
idunno.gif
What do you think

My opinion again, and I'm still somewhat of a newbie (first year but with childhood experience too)...but i would think she'd want to at least see the others, even if she couldn't be with them - I think about myself, I feel better if I know my husband is home, or if he will be home soon, if I'm feeling ill. If she's feeling ill, she may prefer to be separated...but when she feels better she may want to go back with everyone else. (See my posting about "duck almost drowned" - my duck was very quiet initially but now that he is feeling better, he's more "talkative" tho his voice isn't fully back yet and he is much more physically active...my point is that your bird will probably let you know when she's feeling better.)

I would suggest getting another heat lamp or two from the store, if they are open today...if not for now, then to have on hand. You just never know when one bulb may break, or the lamp hardware may short out or something...should always have at least one backup in case of that, or in case of time like this when you need to nurse one back to health separately.

Back
Top Bottom