Help! Chick with spraddle leg

The Ranch Girl

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
So yesterday I noticed one of the chicks very weak and not really moving. I stuck him in the incubater with food and water, he ate and drank. We stuck him under momma hen last night. Today he still cant walk. He is chirping, and trying to eat and drink. We think he has a mild case of spraddle leg. Does anyone know something I can do for him?
100_3830.JPG

Last edited:
Sure, spraddle leg is easy to fix, if caught early. A picture is worth a thousand words . . . .
DSC02201.JPG

(Sorry it's not rotated.)

As you can see, that's a piece of straw cut the right length with a rubber band through it. A day or two of this should take care of it at this stage.

By the way, this chick of mine somehow found the paper towel glued to cereal-box cardboard placed at the bottom of the incubator to be too slippery. None of the other chicks have had any problems so far with this liner. My first time I actually made it more like sandpaper by gluing some sand to the cardboard, but after that I tried the paper towel. I might make adjustments with my next batch, although this is the only one so far to have this problem.

I think the bandaid solution may be hindering his movements more, particularly in the front-to-back direction.

By the way, this chick of mine somehow found the paper towel glued to cereal-box cardboard placed at the bottom of the incubator to be too slippery. None of the other chicks have had any problems so far with this liner. My first time I actually made it more like sandpaper by gluing some sand to the cardboard, but after that I tried the paper towel. I might make adjustments with my next batch, although this is the only one so far to have this problem.

I think the bandaid solution may be hindering his movements more, particularly in the front-to-back direction.
ok well what rubber band did you use?

ok well what rubber band did you use?

I used one that is common locally--usually used for tying plastic bags shut, such as those containing soymilk or other food items. But some people would probably use a hair band--more likely to be available where you are unless you're in Asia as I am.

Back
Top Bottom