HELP CHICK

Itz_Kitkat

Chirping
Dec 6, 2020
Grande Prairie Alberta
we haven’t had many problems except for a sour crop that won’t go away but a 2 week old chick started off with a bloody poop stuck to it now it can keep its head up I doubt it’s marvels because it’s rare in this age we were treating for cocci but then this happened help me .
4329891E-5AD7-40F7-94A2-DC60361B2C41.jpeg

It’s not pasty I don’t think since I have been cleaning it

I would try to hold the chick's bottom gently under warm running water for several minutes to begin to soften all that dried on poop. That way you can very gently try to remove it once it's softened, but you don't want to pull on anything hard and crusty and risk further injury.

A chick that age may also have a slight scab on their navel that looks very similar to what you are dealing with, and that would be quite fragile and delicate, so you need to use care not to pull on that and kill the chick. Once you feel you've made some progress, if you need to give the chick a break and let him / her dry off and warm up again under your heat source, you could do that as well, so as not to overtax the baby chick. But you have to get all that dried crusted poop OFF THEIR VENT and make sure the chick is eating and drinking.

You can also try offering some plain yogurt as well, as a treat / supplement to provide probiotics, or a supplement in their water if you have that available.

Please let us know how it goes!

I would try to hold the chick's bottom gently under warm running water for several minutes to begin to soften all that dried on poop. That way you can very gently try to remove it once it's softened, but you don't want to pull on anything hard and crusty and risk further injury.

A chick that age may also have a slight scab on their navel that looks very similar to what you are dealing with, and that would be quite fragile and delicate, so you need to use care not to pull on that and kill the chick. Once you feel you've made some progress, if you need to give the chick a break and let him / her dry off and warm up again under your heat source, you could do that as well, so as not to overtax the baby chick. But you have to get all that dried crusted poop OFF THEIR VENT and make sure the chick is eating and drinking.

You can also try offering some plain yogurt as well, as a treat / supplement to provide probiotics, or a supplement in their water if you have that available.

Please let us know how it goes!
I will do that , she is pooping but not eating or drinking with out her mama
THANK YOU !!!!

Ok so she is standing and chirping. I cleaned the area and checked the other chicks they also had very little but it wasn’t covering the vent in any way so I cleaned that up. The chick still isn’t eating or drinking and it’s moving around a bit

Ok so she is standing and chirping. I cleaned the area and checked the other chicks they also had very little but it wasn’t covering the vent in any way so I cleaned that up. The chick still isn’t eating or drinking and it’s moving around a bit
Do you have nutridrench or any kind of electrolyte packets or whatever to put in the water? Failing that, even some sugar water, and try to dip her beak in so she knows where to drink.

Back
Top Bottom