HELP!!!!!!!!! Chicken ate string

dombrowski6

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 21, 2007
My son thought it would be a good idea to give the chickens a string to "practice eating worms" with. One of our Barred Rocks now has the string hanging out of her mouth about 6 inches. I cannot pull it out. It is very tight. Not sure how long the string is. Any ideas???\\\\\\

Hi, how old is the bird? This happened to me and I very carefully extracted it. You MUST make sure that it was just a plain string and NOTHING hanging on it. It must NOT have any knots either. You can either chose to gently, slowly pull, or you can clip it as close as possible to the beak and the bird should kindof hack it down. I think it will be passed in the stool but don't quote me.

I have had to remove a string from my ducks' bill and from a 14 week old pullet. The call is yours-decide what is best for you.

Hope you get it taken care of and give us an update.

I would let the chicken pass it. If you pull on it and the chicken has half of it digested then you could rip it's insides. Same with dogs and cats. My in laws used to have a cat that would eat Christmas tree tinsel and the vet said the same thing. Let the chicken pass it, it's better than trying to pull it out.

Last edited:
How old is your son? Can he tell you anything more about exactly what happened? It seems strange to me that it won't slide out...as said above, maybe there is something attached to the other end - ?

Back
Top Bottom