Help! Chicken attached by Racoon..

Jun 14, 2017
Three nights ago we were a little late in closing up our coop. When we went outside to lock up our chickens we were greeted by the horble squawking from or rooster (who was not touched) and one of my hens; Ginger (she is a sweet Rhode Island Red).
The racoon was still going after her when we got to the coop and after running off he circled around and came back for more just minutes later. (A garden rake took care of him.)
There were feathers everywhere, but after checking everyone Ginger was the only one with any injuries.

She has three spots, the first is where he bit at her left wing (1"x1" area) wound. The second is her right thigh - the feathers and skin have been ripped off (apx 4x5" area). And last the vent has a puncture wound to the left and a lot of the feathers were taken from this area.

I immediately cleaned all the wounds and applied Neosporin. Other than she seems to be picking at the wound on her wing, all the wounds seem to be heeling well so far with no apparent sign of infection. However, as I was cleaning her vent area tonight I noticed just above the vent the skin is turning green. Is this something to be concerned with?
In addition, because this coon seemed to be aggressive, what do I need to watch for for rabies?
I will take pictures tomorrow and post.

Rabies only affects mammals, so chickens could NOT get rabid. I don't know if YOU could get the disease from handling her wounds. That would be something to ask your doctor.
I would also be concerned that her skin at vent is turning green. Puncture wounds are especially prone to infection. Please post in full detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures "thread. A picture of of the vent & green skin would be very helpful to them.

Rabies only affects mammals, so chickens could NOT get rabid. I don't know if YOU could get the disease from handling her wounds. That would be something to ask your doctor.
I would also be concerned that her skin at vent is turning green. Puncture wounds are especially prone to infection. Please post in full detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures "thread. A picture of of the vent & green skin would be very helpful to them.

Back
Top Bottom