1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!Chicken attacked by coon *update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by geepy, Apr 3, 2009.

1. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    My hen was attacked by a raccoon last night. She is still alive but missing all the skin on her neck. Is there anything I should but on it. There is no skin left at all! I'm setting the trap so I will catch this critter and relocate him far away from here. I feel so bad for my hen.(she's one of my own hatchlings)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    When my hen fought the hawk she ended up without much skin at all from her head to her keel.

A farm vet will stitch her up. It will cost you.

Bear made it and today looks like this.

[​IMG]

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    There was someone else on here that had a chicken who's neck was basically skinned. Do a search you should be able to find it. Where do you have her now? Is she in a nce quiet and dark place to rest? You can clean her up and put antibiotic ointment on her until someone with a little more knowledge can respond. Just dont use anything that ends in caine on her. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I took care of a friend's hen that had virtually all of it's back skin. from head to tail, ripped off by a coon. I flushed twice daily with a diluted Betadine solution (the color of light amber), gave oral antibiotics, and applied a thin coat of Neosporin. Also kept her on a heating pad on low (under 1/2 her space). It took a few weeks to heal, and a few months to grow back feathers (she actually did!), but she did competely heal. No vet $. That was my experience. Good luck.

5. geepy

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Thanks for all the info. Right now she is resting. I cleaned the wound and cut off dead skin, I applied neosporin, no antibiotics on hand but will have some in the a.m. I got some crumbles and water down her. She just kinda sits there with her head down but does look up when I talk to her or give her some water. She was a very healthy hen before this so I hope she makes it. Thanks again.

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Best of luck with your hen. Will send healing vibes your way...

7. geepy

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Well believe it or not my hen is doing well. I had to force feed her and make a sling to support her neck for about a week. The poor girl laid an egg the night after the attack. I've let her outside a little bit (under supervision) She seems alittle slow but she is coming around. It looks like she is growing a skin covering over the injury. Thanks for the well wishes. I still can't believe she is alive. Oh I did catch the raccoon also.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by