Help - chicken bleeding from leg??

Thankyou! Yes that has been very helpful. It seems she has got a tumour as the silkie had exactly what April had got. She is fine in herself, so we will keep her nice and comfy and hope she stays healthy and it doesn’t take her over. Thankyou all for your help

Will you keep us posted on her progress. It can be helpful for others in the future to help them decide the best course of action in such circumstances, particularly in respect of timescales and what you felt was beneficial in treating her etc.
Will be keeping my :fl for you.

Update on April: she’s still doing ok, now 9 months old. The lump on her side we are almost definite that it is a tumour, has got bigger and occasionally bleeds but stops quite quickly and isn’t effecting her. And she is blind in her left eye. It began going blue, then white, so we think maybe it again is a tumour. A few days ago we began finding cream eggs, which we couldn’t match with any of the other hens (as we know who lays what), and today found her laying it. Unsure if it has a normal interior yet, as cream legbars should lay blue/green eggs. Generally in herself, she is fine, and now loves cuddles again

It is sounding more and more like Marek's from that description of her eye changing colour and going blind. Nice to hear that she has started laying though. It has happened with some of my Marek's birds that have battled the disease. You must be doing well to get enough food and nutrients into her to enable her to produce eggs even with a tumour sucking life out of her. It is important to have an end of life plan with such birds as quality of life can suddenly deteriorate, but as long as she is eating and managing with supportive care, good luck to her and you.

Sorry that it is looking more like Mareks, but I really hop it is not. Would it be possible to see a new picture of her and her blind eye? She was such a pretty little pullet in the first picture. What breed is she?

Update on April: she’s still doing ok, now 9 months old. The lump on her side we are almost definite that it is a tumour, has got bigger and occasionally bleeds but stops quite quickly and isn’t effecting her. And she is blind in her left eye. It began going blue, then white, so we think maybe it again is a tumour. A few days ago we began finding cream eggs, which we couldn’t match with any of the other hens (as we know who lays what), and today found her laying it. Unsure if it has a normal interior yet, as cream legbars should lay blue/green eggs. Generally in herself, she is fine, and now loves cuddles again
I'm very sorry to hear she is not improving.
I agree, it is sounding more and more like Marek's. If you can post some photos that would be good.
Thank you for the update.

Thankyou all, only now have I come back to check. I’ve looked up mareks disease just now, but no, it definitely wasn’t that , as none of the other birds have this. We had to have April put down about a month ago :(, we kept her going until we could see she was no longer happy. She laid quite a few eggs, even with the tumour on the leg, which stopped bleeding and hadn’t bled in a while and the tumour Of the eye. She stayed cuddly and happy playing with her sisters right until the day before. Then she just became really depressed and we knew she wasn’t happy, about an hour later, she had lost balance and kept falling over as well as having lost her appetite.
We had her put down at the vets, which was a pretty traumatic experience as the vets were ages and said it was because they couldn’t find a vein? I’m not sure whether her condition had made them very small, or whether it was just a very bad vet....
thanks all for your ongoing support

Thankyou all, only now have I come back to check. I’ve looked up mareks disease just now, but no, it definitely wasn’t that , as none of the other birds have this. We had to have April put down about a month ago :(, we kept her going until we could see she was no longer happy. She laid quite a few eggs, even with the tumour on the leg, which stopped bleeding and hadn’t bled in a while and the tumour Of the eye. She stayed cuddly and happy playing with her sisters right until the day before. Then she just became really depressed and we knew she wasn’t happy, about an hour later, she had lost balance and kept falling over as well as having lost her appetite.
We had her put down at the vets, which was a pretty traumatic experience as the vets were ages and said it was because they couldn’t find a vein? I’m not sure whether her condition had made them very small, or whether it was just a very bad vet....
thanks all for your ongoing support
I'm so sorry to hear about April:hugs
Thank you for coming back and updating your thread.

So sorry for your loss. Hopefully, the tumors and paralysis were not from Mareks, but if you see any similar problems, it would be good to find where in the UK, that you could get testing for Mareks or a necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom