Help Chicken bleeding out vent!!

stoutfamily

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
Tempe, AZ
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
She's a hen, pretty sure a barred rock and I would estimate she weighs about 7 pounds. I'm not sure of her age but she's been with us for a year and was full grown when we got her. She has laid 2 eggs since July (last one in August 2010) so I'm assuming she is done laying.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is lethargic and barely eating or drinking. Her vent is puffy and discolored. It looks like her backside is pretty well plucked, however she is our only chicken so she may have done it to herself. I saw her strain to push something out and it caused her to bleed (this is a new symptom today)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
This is day two.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
We have two baby chicks which are kept separate from the hen and they are both fine.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Yes, she is bleeding from her vent and it is discolored.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing, that I know of. We do have a dog but they get along very well and even sleep together on occasion. He has been licking her butt but in a gentle way, probably because she is hurt.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I have not seen her consume any of her regular feed or water. I tried giving her some yogurt and she took a very little bit.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
She pooped once that I saw yesterday and it was very runny and watery. Today she has been straining and hasn't pooped that I've seen. When she strains, blood comes out.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I have given her a warm bath yesterday and today. Yesterday it seemed to help her get out the small watery stool I mentioned previously because it was right after her bath. Today, after her bath she seems to be able to push a little more and I think I see hard poop trying to come out.
I also fed her some yogurt.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would prefer to treat her all myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See below.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She has a little box both inside and outside to sleep in. She has places to perch but generally prefers to sleep in one of those spots. Lately, she's been choosing to sleep in the doghouse with the dog. She is free range and can roam our whole yard. She frequently dust bathes herself (not for the past couple days though)

butt1.jpg

butt2.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: As I was posting this, she pooped a small hard bloody stool. I think the blood was only on the outside of the stool. She has blood dripping down her butt now. What should I do??

I am so sorry I wish I could help but don't even know what this could be unless internal laying. Maybe continue with the soakings to see if she has an egg in there.. Hopefully someone will be here shortly to help.

If she is straining I would think maybe egg bound. Check her underside to see if you can feel the egg. Keep iwth the soaks. Maybe she has a large egg and the straining is causing her to bleed. I wouldnt let it go too long before I took her to the vet but that is just me.

I felt her underside and I didn't feel anything that felt like an egg. Just a little swollen but no masses or anything.

Pretty sure it was coccidiosis. She passed away tonight. I attempted to get her the treatment but I guess I was too late. She wasn't eating enough by that time.

Back
Top Bottom