help! Chicken bully

chicshackmama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
I am a new chicken mama and our 9 chicks are just over 4 weeks old. We have all different breeds- my white leghorn is picking on my brahma. I noticed earlier to day that she was pecking at her from under the roosting pole and then this evening I realized that my brahma has blood around her vent area and her back is missing feathers and bleeding. They are still in a brooder set up with 3 roosting poles and we are setting up our coop tomorrow. Is this normal behavior at such a young age? I took my leghorn out and have in her in a temporary set up by herself that is on the small side and she is trying to fly out but seems to be settling down with her food and water now. Do I need to remove my brahma too? It does not appear than anyone else is pecking at her. Should I put them all into the coop together when we get it set up tomorrow? Help!!
sad.png

I'd protect the injured chicken by keeping the offender separated.
Pecking can get out of hand very quickly, and there is already blood.
You might need to spray the injured vent area with Blue Kote if the pecking contiues once they are back together.
Use our search google to learn more about it if it is new to you.
They are awfully young to be nasty, aren't they.

Sometimes being in "chicken jail" helps by setting up a new pecking order, the leghorn may think she's at the top.

Good Luck, let us know what happens...

A few days in chickie jail should knock that leghorn down a few pegs on the pecking order ladder.

The nerve of her, picking on a majestic brahma!
smack.gif

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
OK, chickie jail it is then. I have noticed that our leghorn seems to be at the top of the pecking order. I have been a little worried that maybe she is not a she at all, but a roo.
barnie.gif
Thanks for the advice- she is glaring at me from her new spot right now. I hope it will be better when they move into the new coop and all will be forgotten! I am still in chick baby heaven and already we have issues.
idunno.gif

And if that doesn't work, Freezer Camp. Tonight when I was feeding up, my muscovy duck sauntered over with her 19 babies to eat their food and the rooster I have on the yard just attacked the 2 week old babies...well I chased him around until I fell and cut my arm..tomorrow he is headed to the Stew Pot. I will not have him hurting my babies......

Back
Top Bottom