Help! Chicken eye filled with blood

Animal-lover339

Songster
5 Years
Oct 10, 2018
Puerto rico
Hello,so I have a young stag about 7 months old and he was out and about as usual and I noticed he started fighting with another young stag from the neighbors house and I got there in time they don’t have spurs they’re still round but now his eye is full of blood what can I do? Will he go blind?
IMG_0094.jpeg

His pupil looks enlarged but at the same time it seems ok it’s just filled with blood

leave it a few days and see what happens. if it gets worse, send him to the vet. a while back I had a turkey that I was sure would go blind. eye infection, massive swelling, white discharge, the works. my mom was going to remove his eye, but I told her to wait. a couple days later, the turkey had healed on his own and regained most of his sight. also once had a rhode island red who got bit by a dog. her entire shoulder joint would show when she flexed her wings, but she lived a happy life as the lead hen of her flock.

If he were mine, I would get some terramycin eye ointment and apply that to the injured eye 2-3 times a day (It's available without prescription most places, Tractor Supply stores and some feed stores carry it). If you can't get the terramycin, then you can use plain neosporin the same way, in the eye. Time will tell if he will have vision in that eye or not, it could have been a peck rather than a spur, hard to say. The ointment will help prevent any infection that could make things worse. If he has impaired vision on that side then he will be at a disadvantage in any conflict, so I would try to make sure he's safe from attack from other boys. Barring conflicts, and disadvantage from predators, they can adapt and live fairly normally with one eye.

leave it a few days and see what happens. if it gets worse, send him to the vet. a while back I had a turkey that I was sure would go blind. eye infection, massive swelling, white discharge, the works. my mom was going to remove his eye, but I told her to wait. a couple days later, the turkey had healed on his own and regained most of his sight. also once had a rhode island red who got bit by a dog. her entire shoulder joint would show when she flexed her wings, but she lived a happy life as the lead hen of her flock.
Well hopefully he regains his sight he’s so young wouldn’t want him to have to live with only one,wow now that one heck of a hen

If he were mine, I would get some terramycin eye ointment and apply that to the injured eye 2-3 times a day (It's available without prescription most places, Tractor Supply stores and some feed stores carry it). If you can't get the terramycin, then you can use plain neosporin the same way, in the eye. Time will tell if he will have vision in that eye or not, it could have been a peck rather than a spur, hard to say. The ointment will help prevent any infection that could make things worse. If he has impaired vision on that side then he will be at a disadvantage in any conflict, so I would try to make sure he's safe from attack from other boys. Barring conflicts, and disadvantage from predators, they can adapt and live fairly normally with one eye.
I used some triple antibiotic which is what I had on had but I’ll try to get the terramycin make sure he’ll recover,he’s always in a cage most are but every morning I like to take them out with leg ties so can soak up the morning sun but I guess the neighbors rooster thought it’d be fun to come over for a visit and I agree must’ve been a peck I’m sure a spur would rupture the eye

Well hopefully he regains his sight he’s so young wouldn’t want him to have to live with only one,wow now that one heck of a hen
Yeah, she was pretty fierce. I was handing her a cabbage leaf once, se looked at the leaf, saw that I had an entire cabbage to share among the flock, and flew up and attacked my face. Crazy bird. I miss her 🥲

Yeah, she was pretty fierce. I was handing her a cabbage leaf once, se looked at the leaf, saw that I had an entire cabbage to share among the flock, and flew up and attacked my face. Crazy bird. I miss her 🥲
I have a fatty names Angela just like that she gets on top of my cages to fly onto my head so I’ll pay her some attention

Back
Top Bottom