Help! Chicken fell in water bucket!

kristin06

Songster
Dec 28, 2014
NC
My little bantam cochin somehow fell in a water bucket and I guess got stuck! I have no clue how long she was in there but there was an egg at the bottom. I grabbed her and wrapped her in a towel and tried blow drying her a little. Then I took her back out side, put her in the sun, and she wouldnt walk she ate a little, but won't move, just sits there and shivers. So I wrapped her up in the towel and she is in the bathroom with the heat lamp on. She has tucked her head like they do when they sleep. When I walk in she will look around but she is still a little shakey and slightly puffed up.
Is there anything else I can do?

Agree, you can place her in a brooder in order to warm her up. It might take a full day or two before she’s fully back to herself.

I mean no harm, but can I ask why you have a water bucket? Is it for horses or large animals? If not or if it’s for the chickens I would instead get a different kind of waterer.

I had a neighbor who had three of her chickens drown from water buckets until she finally switched. They can be dangerous to a chicken who is freaking out.

Agree, you can place her in a brooder in order to warm her up. It might take a full day or two before she’s fully back to herself.

I mean no harm, but can I ask why you have a water bucket? Is it for horses or large animals? If not or if it’s for the chickens I would instead get a different kind of waterer.

I had a neighbor who had three of her chickens drown from water buckets until she finally switched. They can be dangerous to a chicken who is freaking out.

I understand, it's not a big water bucket maybe a foot and a half tall. I dont see how she got stuck. It's not their normal waterer. I was running late for work like 2 days ago so I filled that one up and put it in there and I just never took it out.. their normal water is made for chickens, but its hanging up and it was easier for me to fill the bucket. I promise that won't happen again! I didn't think one could get stuck in it. It's more like trough instead of a bucket.

No worries, I get ya. Sometimes it’s just easier. They do make a bucket waterer that you can just fill from the top to make it quick to fill. Then it had a lid so that they can’t get inside.

Chickens can be dumb sometimes. Everything can.

Yes they can lol. My boyfriend is working on a watering system with a barrel and PVC pipe. So It will be easier for me in the morning. I have a lot of sepperate coops, 6 dogs, and 3 pigs( they come in at night). So I have to get up at like 4am a take care of everybody( not complaining, I love it), but that night I forgot to set my alarm and also fighting a bad cold so it was a struggle this week.

Sorry that I am just seeing this, but it sounds like you are doing as much as you can. Some people blow dry their wet chickens to keep them from chilling. I have never had any of my grown chickens get into a water bucket, but when chicks are under 2 weeks old, they will be drawn to water, and keeping a large container of water in a pan or bucket can be very dangerous. I pulled a chick out of a shot black rubber bowl of water once, just as she jumped up on the side and fell in, so I use caution around chicks. But with my older birds of large and bantam size, I do put bowls of water out year round, and have never had an accident with them. I really hope your bantam hen recovers. I lost a hen once who accidentally got left out in the rain one night, and even though she got under the hen house, she got chilled and was dead the next morning.

Back
Top Bottom