Help! Chicken Gasping For Air

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerBoy24, Jan 21, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    NO I THINK ITS GOING TO DYE!! ITS NOT EATING OR DRINKING BECAUSE ITS ONLY GASPING FOR AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Do you have her in the house? She needs to be in the house where it's quiet and pretty dark so she'll stay calm.
    Did you feel her crop and check down her throat for gapeworm or possible wet pox lesions?

3. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    No shes outside with the rest of the chickens. I had to put her up in the coop or she would've stayed outside. when I feel for her crop its just bone there! How do I look for gape worm what is gape worm?

I have chicks in the house could I put them in the same room???

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    MissLydia stated this a few posts back about gapeworm.
    "Also check for gape worm by using a qtip and putting it a little ways down its mouth and see if anything comes out on it you have to go a ways into the throat. From what I've read the worms are red and have like 2 heads. their small."
    She needs to be by herself in a box, crate, dog carrier, whatever you can find in the house. Don't put her in with chicks because IF she has a respiratory illness, you don't want her to infect the babies.
    I know you're upset and stressed, but please, calm down-we're trying to help you, help her.

5. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Alright.. Im sorry I'm just tired of loosing chickens [​IMG] of sicknesses i'll try it out right now.

i'll be right back!!

6. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Ok im back!! I didn't find no worms. But I have her in my bathroom in a tote. What could it be? and how can I treat it?

Thanks For All Your Help!!!

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    OK-is her comb pale or turning bluish purple?
    Is her comb turning purple/blue? This would be sign that she's no getting enough oxygen.
    Has she been laying regularly(or is she of laying age)-trying to make sure she doesn't have an internal infection from an broken egg(egg peritonitis).
    You said you had lost other birds to sickness-what kind of sickness?

8. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    She is only 3-4 moths, hasn't started to lay. yea but her little tiny comb is blue-purplish. Well around Christmas time it was raining A LOT and filled up our pound, which we are going to use fpr a garden. we put shrubs, grass , chicken and goat manure in it so the garden will be good. Sure enough the rain filled it up with water, and the chicks, were 3 months old and drank it, and after that they got sick puffed up in the corner. I still have some that are sick in that way. I wonder how I treat that? [​IMG]

9. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    This may be a respiratory thing then. Sounds like that could be what your chicks have.
    Bear with me real quick-going to look something up.

10. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Ok thanks so much. How do I treat it do you know? Oh yea we also have goats , could they have injured it? They are Marans and were suppose to be my breeding flock, I guess thats not going to happen. I also need some splash silkies if you know anyone who has them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by