HELP~~!!!!Chicken got swiped by a racoon

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happychickengirls, May 18, 2010.

1. happychickengirls

happychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    So question to all of you out there. This one is for my freind who is also a chicken owner but doesnt use this forum.
    I am kind of curious as well. She was just telling me that her chicken had gotten swiped by a racoon and now has a big patch of
    feathers missing from her side. Her chick is freaked out and wont let her near her at this time. (Her chicks are free range)
    She doesnt know how bad the damage is at this point. So I am wondering- when she can finally get near her enough to see the damage does she bring her to vet if its bad? What do you do??? Has anyone out there experienced anything like this???[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Whether or not she takes it to the vet is an entirely personal decision. If her resources allow and she wants to do so a vet may or may not be able to help (and may or may not be needed) Personally, a vet bill for a chicken is not -- generally speaking -- something I am willing to incur. If the chicken was eating and drinking and getting around fine I'd clean any lacerations, smear them with neosporin and keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by