Help!! Chicken has a bloated bottom and a skinny chest...

lolchickens

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2021
Hi all, I suspect vent gleet, but I wanted to take this concern to the experts (all of you wonderful people w/ chicken experience) here at BYC.

My chicken has been very lethargic lately (droopy red/purple comb, white droppings, etc.) and so I inspected her and found that her bottom is now a huge bulky sphere. I don't think you can tell from the pictures here but I'll try to get better pics tomorrow. Her feet now cannot hold her, and she keeps slipping every time she tries to walk. She is also always sitting down, probably because of the weight of her bottom. She has been like this for at least a week now and it hasn't gone away. Are there any clues as to what this might be and how to treat it? So far I have only rubbed Vaseline on her bottom and cleaned off her feathers with some droppings on them. Please help me help my chicken!!

- A concerned chicken owner :(

20210305_173726.jpg
20210305_173733.jpg

Attachments

• 20210305_173729.jpg
    20210305_173729.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210305_173732.jpg
    20210305_173732.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 14
Sorry about your hen. How old is she? Do you know the last time she laid an egg?

It sounds like internal laying. Yolks released from the ovaries miss the oviduct and wind up in the abdominal cavity. The extra weight makes them walk oddly and they resemble a penguin when they stand. Eventually peritonitis (infection) sets in. Some people give antibiotics to fight the infection, but sadly there is no cure for the condition.

A stuck or broken egg might be another possibility. A warm soak and extra calcium can help.

X2 it sounds as if it may be reproductive in nature, do you know if she has been laying? When you say “skinny chest” do you mean that she feels like there is less muscle mass there than normal, or just in comparison to the bloated bottom?

Sorry about your hen. How old is she? Do you know the last time she laid an egg?

It sounds like internal laying. Yolks released from the ovaries miss the oviduct and wind up in the abdominal cavity. The extra weight makes them walk oddly and they resemble a penguin when they stand. Eventually peritonitis (infection) sets in. Some people give antibiotics to fight the infection, but sadly there is no cure for the condition.

A stuck or broken egg might be another possibility. A warm soak and extra calcium can help.
IMG_20210303_005330_279.jpg

I don't know her age, but she's the leader of my other hen and looks like this normally. She has a *mature* spirit. She usually eats a ton, but now a lot less, though she eats some of her feed mixed with an antibiotic powder thing I got recently.

The last time she laid an egg was around January 11th, so about 2 months ago. Does internal laying mean she keeps laying eggs inside her body? Does this mean she'll always be lethargic? Or can she adapt? I will try a warm bath tomorrow, thank you so much for your help!

X2 it sounds as if it may be reproductive in nature, do you know if she has been laying? When you say “skinny chest” do you mean that she feels like there is less muscle mass there than normal, or just in comparison to the bloated bottom?
She trailed off having eggs about 2 months ago (Jan 11th). Ever since the summer she has been laying eggs almost daily for at least a month, then took a break before we saw eggs every week or so. She has been on and off but its definitely been off for a while.

She trailed off having eggs about 2 months ago (Jan 11th). Ever since the summer she has been laying eggs almost daily for at least a month, then took a break before we saw eggs every week or so. She has been on and off but its definitely been off for a while.
And it feels like she has less muscle mass, she definitely seems to have lost weight there. Her big crop is no longer existent either. It feels overly thin, even with her bottom is so bloated.

I am still leaning towards a reproductive issue, especially if her laying has been off. Her symptoms sound vaguely like something I lost a hen to last year: when my hen passed I did a “necropsy” on her and found a large lash egg inside although I never noticed any expelled lash egg material......is taking her a vet an option for you?

View attachment 2557375
I don't know her age, but she's the leader of my other hen and looks like this normally. She has a *mature* spirit. She usually eats a ton, but now a lot less, though she eats some of her feed mixed with an antibiotic powder thing I got recently.

The last time she laid an egg was around January 11th, so about 2 months ago. Does internal laying mean she keeps laying eggs inside her body? Does this mean she'll always be lethargic? Or can she adapt? I will try a warm bath tomorrow, thank you so much for your help!
If you have a current picture of her standing, it might help identify the problem.
If she stopped laying abruptly for no apparent reason, then it's probably a reproductive problem. Sadly, it's very common, usually in hens around 3 or 4 yrs. I have a 4 yr old Legbar that I suspect has internal laying and have had a couple of other hens with it in the past before I knew what it was. Not sure how long they can live with it. Really depends on when the infection sets in.
If she hasn't laid in 2 months, then doubtful there is an egg stuck. That is a serious problem and not something that would last for 2 months.
Is it possible she is hiding eggs somewhere?

I wish I had better news. Yes, if she has internal laying the yolks will continue to accumulate inside her abdomen. If she's a much older hen, she may just be done laying, but the heavy squishy abdomen is symptomatic. I think it varies from hen to hen how long they can survive with the condition.

And it feels like she has less muscle mass, she definitely seems to have lost weight there. Her big crop is no longer existent either. It feels overly thin, even with her bottom is so bloated.
You might want to make sure she is getting enough food. When a top hen loses her spot in the pecking order, it can be a bit brutal. She may be getting chased away from the food. Her crop should be full before going to roost at night.
If she has access to food, but no appetite, that's a clue she is not feeling well. Her floppy comb tells a similar tale. Maybe try feeding her separately and add in extra nutrition... like egg, fresh greens, oats, even a vitamin supplement. It might perk her up a bit.

Your poor girl. I agree a reproductive disorder is likely. I don’t like the color of her comb one bit. Is an avian vet an option?
She might feel better if you drained her abdomen a bit. That does come with some risk. I have had some luck reducing the size of a bloated abdomen with Lily of the Desert aloe detox and anti-inflammatories. If my hen were in that condition, I’d probably give antibiotics a try, as she looks to need some serious intervention. Sorry. :(

Back
Top Bottom