Help! Chicken injured!

Chikyboy

Bantam Cochin Collector
Oct 14, 2021
Nebraska
Hi! Today I was letting my chickens out, when Goldey (the hurt chicken) came running to me, then I saw a nasty gash on her head, and I knew something was wrong. My first thought was she got pecked, but then I thought that maybe that she got her head stuck in the wire in the back of the coop, I have already separated her from the flock. What would help stop an infection? Also, what do you think happened, peck or wire? Thanks in advance!
20211127_074722.jpg

Last edited:
Can you give some details of what happened and age? It looks like a pecking injury done by a rooster or larger chickens. It can be common when one is suddenly added to an older flock without first introduction behind fencing, or from an aggressive rooster. Clean it with chlorhexidene, apply plain antibiotic ointment twice a day, and separate in a dog crate with food/water until it heals.

I already have a suspect.
Yeah.

This is part of the reason I only introduce chick, when they grow half the size of the adult birds now. 7-8 week olds almost ended up as a massacre. One chick was plucked, & cannibalized by the adult birds, & the other five were either scalped, or injured a different way.

Wash away the blood, trim feathers away from wound, keep clean, & moist.

I've had worse injuries that I've dealt with. One included a hole in the head.

Can you give some details of what happened and age? It looks like a pecking injury done by a rooster or larger chickens. It can be common when one is suddenly added to an older flock without first introduction behind fencing, or from an aggressive rooster. Clean it with chlorhexidene, apply plain antibiotic ointment twice a day, and separate in a dog crate with food/water until it heals.
I don't have any roosters, but I do have large hens. Thanks for the good info!

Back
Top Bottom