Help: Chicken is showing signs of prolapse or something else? Need advice on how and what to treat her for

crikeychicken

In the Brooder
May 7, 2022
So about 6 months ago my chicken (2 years old black sex link possibly) molted and ever since then she has not been the same. She stopped laying but it never seemed to be a problem. We treated her for multiple things nothing worked so we just assumed maybe she just didn’t want to lay. However in the last couple of weeks she has been very sluggish. Also as you can see in the photos her feathers are ruffled and her comb just does not look healthy. She walks very slow to start. As the other chickens free range she is usually in the middle curled up sleeping. She is drinking a lot more water but she is eating as normal. I’ve noticed in the last week or so that when she poops it takes her 10 seconds to get it out even tho it is runny and she is just stuck in the pooping position and I think that her vent may even stick out as she is pooping. As she poops she turns her head around to rub the area. I noticed yesterday that she is missing feathers around her vent and that it seems to be swollen. I just do not know how to start treating her if it could be a prolapsed. Or if anyone might have a clue what could be going on. I am going to soak her tomorrow in warm water to try and get the poop off her feathers.

Also the chicken nugget was purely given to her so she would stay still for a photo she only had one bite.

I’ve included a photo of her feathers and comb. Also a photo of her vent sorry it is not a better photo she kept running when I would bring the phone close to her. Also a photo of what she looked like before this all happened

Attachments

• 3D5143C5-09FA-4231-A89F-51C69C9C60B7.png
    3D5143C5-09FA-4231-A89F-51C69C9C60B7.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 3CEB9F2E-B958-4082-B98D-848F71A2B083.jpeg
    3CEB9F2E-B958-4082-B98D-848F71A2B083.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 4CE1A1F1-EBF6-453E-BF7D-48657431DA3F.jpeg
    4CE1A1F1-EBF6-453E-BF7D-48657431DA3F.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 18DB93D1-C58F-48BE-9A69-46761E0E69AA.jpeg
    18DB93D1-C58F-48BE-9A69-46761E0E69AA.jpeg
    971.7 KB · Views: 5
I would guess this hen has cancer. Probably tumors in the oviduct are interfering with pooping. That might also account for the very pale comb.

There is a chance this is infection, but that would be just as bad since an infection that causes these symptoms is likely beyond treatment. The swelling around the vent can be a symptom of serious infection.

If this hen is a special pet and you have extra in your budget, an avian vet might be able to help her, but if it may end up being very expensive.

I would guess she is in pain from your description of her attempting to peck at her rear as she tries to poop. If she were mine, I'd be considering euthanizing her.

I would guess this hen has cancer. Probably tumors in the oviduct are interfering with pooping. That might also account for the very pale comb.

There is a chance this is infection, but that would be just as bad since an infection that causes these symptoms is likely beyond treatment. The swelling around the vent can be a symptom of serious infection.

If this hen is a special pet and you have extra in your budget, an avian vet might be able to help her, but if it may end up being very expensive.

I would guess she is in pain from your description of her attempting to peck at her rear as she tries to poop. If she were mine, I'd be considering euthanizing her.
It all started from her molting which is what is throwing me off. I’m trying to get her to soak to see if maybe she is egg bound even though she has not laid in 6 months. However she is refusing to let me catch her so I am going to have to grab another set of hands to help. I have Nutri-drench coming in the mail tom that hopefully will help her a little bit.

If you're thinking this is egg binding, give her a calcium tablet. It can assist in producing contractions to get an egg out. But be aware that tumors in the oviduct can mimic a stuck egg.

Something is going on with her reproductive tract, either a disorder or cancer as Azygous thinks. It would help to get her vent cleaned up, and trim any excess fluff so that we can see her vent clearly. Have you ever noticed others pecking her vent? Vent damage from pecking or a prolapse can cause difficulty pooping. Since she has not laid in so long, cancer or something like internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis could be happening.

Something is going on with her reproductive tract, either a disorder or cancer as Azygous thinks. It would help to get her vent cleaned up, and trim any excess fluff so that we can see her vent clearly. Have you ever noticed others pecking her vent? Vent damage from pecking or a prolapse can cause difficulty pooping. Since she has not laid in so long, cancer or something like internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis could be happening.
No one picks on her. They free range all day so they are to busy playing to even notice her. Even when they are in the coop they don’t bother her

Back
Top Bottom