Help!! Chicken is twitching while sick!!!!!!

Chicken Goddess

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Cluckingham Palace, Australia
My chicken has been diagnosed with coccidiosis, i have been giving her sulphur treatment and it has been working. But about a week later she started twitching her head alot. Does any one know what disease this is and how do i treat it? She isnt a pullet she is more than 50 weeks old. She has been having yellow faeces and caught the disease during molting. Does anyone know? Please Help!
fl.gif

My chicken has been diagnosed with coccidiosis, i have been giving her sulphur treatment and it has been working. But about a week later she started twitching her head alot. Does any one know what disease this is and how do i treat it? She isnt a pullet she is more than 50 weeks old. She has been having yellow faeces and caught the disease during molting. Does anyone know? Please Help!
fl.gif
What is the name of medication she has been on for coccidiosis? Head twitching can be anything from injury to respiratory infection. Any discharge from nostril/eyes?

What does her poop look like now,has she been eating/drinking?

Last edited:
Are you talking about treatment with sulfa drugs? Yellow droppings can be a sign of several different problems--cecal droppings, E.coli, coccidiosis, egg yolk peritonitis, and blackhead (rare in chickens, but common in turkeys.) Could the head twitching be from growing in new feathers, or possibly from mites?

Yes. I have been giving her Sulphurdim for about a week now maybe a few days more. Her poop is still yellow but has some green stuff in it. She is a Araucana and hasn't laid eggs for months now so I'm guessing she was molting but ever since she started to act strange we didn't see any feathers lying around (hence the molting). I did read some where else it was mites so i just powdered her a few hours ago. I do think it is coccidiosis because her symptoms matched but she started to twitch her head it has been strange. She is eating a little bit and has a drink every now and then but will just stand in the same spot for while, sleeping. But whats even weirder is that when ever i rub her neck feathers she will start twitching again. Strange?

She hasn't been having discharge from the eyes or nostrils Ten chicks.

And thank you so much for your instant reply's!
smile.png

Be sure and follow the Sulfadim (sulfadimethoxine) directions because giving too much or too long can damage the kidneys. Some probiotics in the diet (buttermilk or yogurt) now would be good to restore the gut bacteria. Is she having neck spasms where her neck twists to the side, upward, or down? That condition is wry neck and is neurological in origin. Or it is just a twitch?

I have been following the instructions but all it says is: give 6 drops directly into mouth 3 times a day. It doesn't really say how long for though. But at least we have stopped now. I did give her some yogurt but i guess i should give her some more. Her head spasms have been side to side. Like, if her head was straight in the middle she'll do a quick twitch to the left then back in the middle. and she'll do that repeatedly. They are small head spasms, she was doing it alot this morning but has calmed down a bit now. Thanks for the advice Eggcessive.
smile.png

I have been following the instructions but all it says is: give 6 drops directly into mouth 3 times a day. It doesn't really say how long for though. But at least we have stopped now. I did give her some yogurt but i guess i should give her some more. Her head spasms have been side to side. Like, if her head was straight in the middle she'll do a quick twitch to the left then back in the middle. and she'll do that repeatedly. They are small head spasms, she was doing it alot this morning but has calmed down a bit now. Thanks for the advice Eggcessive.
smile.png
You're welcome. I just looked up another brand of sulfadimethoxine, and it is to be given for 6 days. She needs probiotics for a few days now to fix her gut bacteria, and some vitamins would be beneficial also. I'm not sure about the head twitching, or the cause, but I want you to look over these two links about wry neck just in case it is that:
http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

For probiotics, should i just give her yogurt or buy some powder from the fodder. I also have been giving her some vitamin powder but then i ran out. Guess i should buy some more!!!! Although, it keeps on talking about silkies with the head problem, my chicken is an Araucana. But ill just give her some vitamins. Thank you so much everyone. Really appreciate this. Thanks for the advice. Ill try this out and come back if it doesn't work. Thankyou!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Is her crop big and squishy? If so she may be suffering from a slow crop. Sometimes they will have crop contents come back out, and it can be common with coccidiosis or other problems. It is similar to sour crop, and you can massage the crop several times a day. Don't give oil, but make sure she is getting plenty of water. Give soft foods like eggs, moist feed with water in it, apple sauce, and yogurt. No whole grains or scratch. If it is brown or sour smelling it is sour crop. Probiotics from yogurt or buttermilk are fine as probiotics, or powder ones are fine too. Here is some info on crop problems: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom