1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!! Chicken layed egg duct??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bl Copper Maran, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Bl Copper Maran

Bl Copper Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington
    Help!!! We think our chicken layed her egg duct. It was 4-5 days ago, the hen seems fine. Post possible causes please!!![​IMG]

2. aknewlin

aknewlin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    It's hard to tell from my phone, but it looks like a simple egg fart (an egg without a shell forming around it).

My chickens have done this from time to time.

Is that a yolk and chalaza?

3. Bl Copper Maran

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington
    We're not sure if its chalaza.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It appears to be a shell-less egg with a bit of the membrane attached. It can be common in young layers.

5. Bl Copper Maran

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington
    [​IMG]

Hmm... 2 eggs now. What do we do? Her vent seems to be dry and her poop is very thoroughly mixed with calcium.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Make sure that she is eating a layer feed, and give her some free choice calcium, such as crushed egg shells or oyster shell. If she has something internally wrong with her shell gland or is laying internally, there isn't much else you can do This can be normal in a young pullet.

7. ccpainthorses

ccpainthorses New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    So the hen is about 2 years old. I'm Bl Copper Marans mom (she's at grandmas, it's grandmas hen). Normal laying to date, not over weight, has free choice layer feed with calcium along with calcium offered separately via both crushed egg shells and oyster shells. I saw the first egg today as well. The white clumps are hard and crumble when crushed. It's definitely not a normal soft shell that's for sure. Hen seems fine other than this. Did I miss anything girls? I'll figure out how to post a pic of the crumbly stuff from earlier lol.

8. ccpainthorses

ccpainthorses New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by