Help! Chicken poop is red , is my flock sick?

Mar 9, 2022
I came out to the chicken coop after school and saw a bright red pule of poop. It was wet so I'm guessing it's fresh and had a foul odor. I found another red dropping near our other coop. I have never seen poop like this before and we have had chickens for over a year now. There are other droppings that seem normal and don't smell. Last week I saw a red dropping, but they had been given whole pieces of strawberries the day before that and we have never given them that much, so I assumed the stool was colored from the strawberries. They have been given nothing red as of late that I know of. We have 29 chickens and I don't know who's it belongs to. I'd anything I suspect it would be one of our 13 younger ones of various breeds who are about 20 weeks now (and still aren't laying) because we let the older flock free range while the others stay in the run. Are they sick? Should I get the poop tested? I would rather not have to take it to the vet but I might be able to try if it might be something dangerous. Also, any ideas as to why our pullets aren't laying? 2 hens we hatched started laying right at the 18 week mark.
20221007_153341.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I just noticed that one of my roosters isn't acting normal. He is usually skitish and terrified of everything. But he has just been laying around all over the place, away from the hens. I tried to spook him a bit and chase him to see if he would run like usual but he lags behind and he's slow. After I chased him, he ran and then just stood in place like he had been before. It is extremely unusual behaviour for him.

I believe our first flock was vaccinated for coccidiosis but not ou younger ones.
The vaccine is good, but it doesn't address all possible strains. Here's a pretty good article that explains:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/arti...diosis-vaccine-for-layer-and-breeder-chickens

Are they continuing to have bloody poop? And are you certain they haven't eaten anything that might color their poop red? Red cabbage, pomegranate, and beets are common culprits.

The vaccine is good, but it doesn't address all possible strains. Here's a pretty good article that explains:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/arti...diosis-vaccine-for-layer-and-breeder-chickens

Are they continuing to have bloody poop? And are you certain they haven't eaten anything that might color their poop red? Red cabbage, pomegranate, and beets are common culprits.
I haven't checked for any more red poop, but I am going to be getting some corid to put in their water later today and hopefully that helps. And we do not buy any red cabbage , pomegranate, beets or anything and nothing that my mom would have given them that they haven't had before. If I find another pile later I might put it in water to see if it really it blood.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom