HELP!!! Chicken poop red and gloppy

Show Sebright

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 1, 2020
Orlando FL
My friend has 2 chickens. One a pulllet and one a 7 year old hen. She was cleaning up their poop and found that there was red in it. It looks almost like a smashed raspberry in the poop. Is it worms or coccidiosis???? Please help! My friend is freaking out. What ever it is can you also till me how to treat it?

Attachments

• 5A5043E5-1F02-47DB-958B-3101F8FE1081.jpeg
    5A5043E5-1F02-47DB-958B-3101F8FE1081.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 9
My friend has 2 chickens. One a pulllet and one a 7 year old hen. She was cleaning up their poop and found that there was red in it. It looks almost like a smashed raspberry in the poop. Is it worms or coccidiosis???? Please help! My friend is freaking out. What ever it is can you also till me how to treat it?
Have your friend collect a sample of the poop and get a fecal float done. This will tell you exactly if it is worms or Coccdia. It will also tell you the type of worms for proper treatment

Worms do not typically cause bloody poops, but coccidiosis does. There’s also a chance that may just be natural shedding of the intestinal lining. To be sure, and if getting a fecal float test is not an option may right now, tell her to get some Corid powder which treats cocciadosis. Even if they don’t have it, it won’t hurt them. Tell her to offer it as their only source of water for 5 to 7 days and then repeat after two weeks. They should be just fine.

Worms do not typically cause bloody poops, but coccidiosis does. There’s also a chance that may just be natural shedding of the intestinal lining. To be sure, and if getting a fecal float test is not an option may right now, tell her to get some Corid powder which treats cocciadosis. Even if they don’t have it, it won’t hurt them. Tell her to offer it as their only source of water for 5 to 7 days and then repeat after two weeks. They should be just fine.
Ok thank you. How do I do a fecal float??

Ok thank you. How do I do a fecal float??
By putting some poo in water and checking for worms... but this is only what they eye can see and won’t show you microscopic eggs. That’s when you would take a sample to a vet and pay for it. As a cheaper alternative, treating them for coccidiosis would not hurt like I said. But first check out this article in chicken poop.

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Back
Top Bottom