Hello! A lot has happened since I last posted here. Her back toe fell off nicely without a problem. The same thing happened with her left toe. Yolko's far right toe it soon to come off at the middle joint. The toe in the center we had to help off, and has a scab from where the toe came off. The bone is showing, what do I do about that? Will it heal over by itself? She eats on her own and is hard to keep contained. She's very active, and clearly wants to always be with the others. What next for the bone?
IMG_20211130_185049043.jpg
IMG_20211130_183306453.jpg

Hello, I am a beginner chicken owner, and have had chickens for 7 months. I first notified that my chickens had bumble foot mid September. Even worse, all ten of my chickens had it. Some worse than others, but they all had it to some degree. On some chickens they only had it on one foot. That day I soaked all there feet in warm water with Epsom salt. We also bought vetericin plus, guase pads, and Prid. I wrapped all the chicken feet that had it, including using the Prid, guase pad, cleaner, and wrap. All but one chicken got better in a matter of a couple weeks. Now, Yolko, a 7 month old large Easter Egger has it almost everywhere on her foot. She doesn't like to put weight on it and won't even free range when I let them out of there run. There isn't any black spot any more, but her foot is large, swollen and pussy.
We have done some at home surgery, and found nothing. There is some whitish yellow stringy stuff with a little bit everywhere in her foot. We just started doing penicillin shots, today her second dose. We have been using the cleaner, Prid, guase pads, and veterinary wrap. Is there anything else I can do? Any help is appreciated.
What dosage did you give you chicken of injectable penicillin and what brand did you buy? I have a rooster who got a comb wound that may be infected, and I would like to start him on an antibiotic. I was looking at VetOne Vetripen G. Any info would be helpful

meepANDpeep
What dosage did you give you chicken of injectable penicillin and what brand did you buy?
Brand I used is Durvet, penicillin G procaine. This kind is thick, and I used 22 gauge needle, and sometimes it still didn't want to Inject.
I gave her about 0.5 ml a day. 5 days on, 5 days off. She was on the edge of being euthanized, then we went about 8 more days on penicillin, and then she started to slowly improve.
It isn't good to do that much unless absolutely needed, so I wouldn't recommend doing more than 5 days in a row.
16411584642094323341378609596365.jpg

Currently my chicken's (Yolko) foot has gotten better, there is still a small spot on her better foot though. From all of the handling she had gotten she turned into a bit of a fiesty chicken!

Brand I used is Durvet, penicillin G procaine. This kind is thick, and I used 22 gauge needle, and sometimes it still didn't want to Inject.
I gave her about 0.5 ml a day. 5 days on, 5 days off. She was on the edge of being euthanized, then we went about 8 more days on penicillin, and then she started to slowly improve.
It isn't good to do that much unless absolutely needed, so I wouldn't recommend doing more than 5 days in a row.View attachment 2948245

Currently my chicken's (Yolko) foot has gotten better, there is still a small spot on her better foot though. From all of the handling she had gotten she turned into a bit of a fiesty chicken!
Thank you, and where did you inject her? in the leg?

His infection actually resolved. I did not need to inject him luckily. But thank you for the advice, because this could come in handy next time if I need help.
We injected it into breast. To the side of the breast bone into the meaty area.
The breast is the best place to inject because there's less chance of hitting a vein there. Too may veins in a thigh.

Back
Top Bottom