HELP CHICKEN WITH MUCUS IN MOUTH..

10% Baytril dose is 0.05 ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 5-6 days.

Metronidazole is 60mg/kg or 30mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 5-6 days.

Is she improving with the Bactrim? How many days do you have left?
I would be inclined to finish the course of Bactrim since it's been started - hopefully it will help her while you wait on the other medications to arrive.

As far as I know, you can use Baytril with Metronidazole.

I can't say that she's doing better or worse with the Bactrim to be honest. But in any event YES, I will continue giving it to her until the 2 new meds arrive. She's fairly normal in that she's still active. She still goes out to the yard to play, comes running when I go out to give them treats, etc etc. However she just isn't eating enough to survive on! What she does is she sits or lays right in front of the crumble feed bowl?? I suspect her brain tells her she has to eat but the discomfort/pain in her mouth simply won't let her eat?? I offer her wet mash, baby food, mashed up watermelon, boiled egg with the yellow separate from the white, yet each mashed up, etc!! She will often take a peck out of all these things but then just walks away and she's back laying in front of the crumble feeder.
I am just beside myself!! This is a very sad and difficult situation!! I most sincerely thank you for all your help!!

OK SO I'M SO EXCITED YOU HAVE TO FORGIVE ME FOR SHOUTING!! LOL
DAISY IS EATING LIKE A LITTLE PIG NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
I made them both the usual type of afternoon treats.... Mixed veggies. However I put a little tuna in the veggies, mainly for Ebby, my Black Australorp who is molting badly, along with a probiotic and a squirt of Nutri Drench. I served them in their 2 usual bowls as I would normally do everyday.. though not expecting that Daisy was going to even touch it. However much to my surprise she began tearing it up!! She even took over poor Ebby's plate!!!
I am so excited!! I even took a video of her eating with such gusto!!!

Well I'm giving Daisy the Baytril and the Metronidazole as was suggested in this thread. She's still eating and a little more everyday so it seems. She still has the lesion in her mouth but I could swear it looks a tiny bit smaller?? Oh I am also using Colloidal Silver by spraying it in her water as well as directly on the lesion. She's still active as always.. Goes out to the backyard to scratch and dig and take her sand baths etc etc. So in my opinion she's definitely a little better. I'm not saying by any means that she's out of the woods. However I honestly feel she looks better.
I keep thinking this thing looks like wet fowl pox? And here's the thing.. my other chicken Ebby, had the dry fowl pox a couple months ago. Couldn't Daisy have contracted it from Ebby only it could have been dormant in her until her immune system went down due to this molt starting and perhaps that's when it showed itself?? I don't know if that makes any sense so that's why I'm asking?? Please forgive me for perhaps a stupid question but I honestly just don't know the answer and it keeps going thru my mind. Here is a picture of a chicken with wet pox and a picture of what Daisy has. Do any of you think it looks anything like the bird with the wet pox??

Screenshot_20200828-204619_Samsung Internet.jpg
20200829_102740.jpg

Also here is a picture of them both eating this powerhouse of nutrients I made for them yesterday which they just loved and cleaned both plates!! They have been eating this as an extra nutritional treat daily a couple times a day. I add a little Nutri Drench and probiotic to it so they can really get some good stuff in them besides all the chicken feed (crumbles) that they always have access to and pick on all day long as well.

Anyone having any thoughts or ideas that could further help please share them? I truly thank everyone of you that has come forward to help to date!!

I would keep an eye on the lesion inside of the beak to see if it continues to seem smaller or look bigger. Fowl pox can be transmitted by fallen scabs that become powdery and are inhaled. It would be more common to get it from mosquitoes. I would think that you would see some dry pox scabs as well, if she had wet pox inside the beak. Let us know how she gets along. I hope that it is not cancer.

I would keep an eye on the lesion inside of the beak to see if it continues to seem smaller or look bigger. Fowl pox can be transmitted by fallen scabs that become powdery and are inhaled. It would be more common to get it from mosquitoes. I would think that you would see some dry pox scabs as well, if she had wet pox inside the beak. Let us know how she gets along. I hope that it is not cancer.

Where should I be looking for the dry pox scabs? Do you mean on her face and comb like what Ebby had or do you mean in her mouth? Now the picture I posted is the original picture I took the day we went to the vet. It is not a new picture. I think the lesion looks smaller but it could be wishful thinking. I hope it's not cancer neither. However I am doing everything humanly possible to heal her of this. I just can't do anymore than I've done. So now all I can do is pray, ask the Lord to help and ask him to give me strength to accept whatever his will may be. At least she's still eating like crazy.. she's not lost her appetite and she's even in the middle of a molt when it's very common for them to lose their appetite. She is fully active still, not isolating at all, going out to the yard several times a day to scratch, dig and sand bathe, etc. So I just choose to be optimistic and I try to think positive for my sweet girl Daisy. She's been a wonderful chicken and I honestly don't know how I'm going to deal with it if things shift for the worse?? We also live in Florida BTW and we are infested with mosquitos! And lastly the way this all began was as if she had been bit by something as her left eye was closed and her left cheek was all swollen. Using Terramycin oint for 3 to 4 days resolved that and it was after that when we noticed she wasn't eating and took her to the vet and found out about the lesion in her mouth. So I wonder if a cancer would start in such an odd fashion and just all of a sudden just like that?? I like to think not but then again I'm far from being the chicken expert. Thanks for writing back and please keep her in your prayers.

The scabs from a dry pox outbreak eventually fall off onto the ground. Just keep watching her to make sure that she is eating and drinking. Hopefully, she will continue to get better.

Back
Top Bottom