Help! Chicken won't eat and had diarrhea for over a week now

Molly11997

Hatching
Mar 7, 2021
I have a two year old hen.. about 10 days ago she stopped eating on her own and has had constant diarrhea... I have tried VetrX and feed her with a dropper a few times a day electrolytes and probiotics and try to give her soft food but she barely takes anything. She has no other major symptoms. Last two days when we open her beak to try and feed her she has started making sort of gargle notices so I am worried she is getting worse. Today she has even less energy and just lays down

I have a two year old hen.. about 10 days ago she stopped eating on her own and has had constant diarrhea... I have tried VetrX and feed her with a dropper a few times a day electrolytes and probiotics and try to give her soft food but she barely takes anything. She has no other major symptoms. Last two days when we open her beak to try and feed her she has started making sort of gargle notices so I am worried she is getting worse. Today she has even less energy and just lays down
Any one please!!!?

Ok you mention gargle noises: is her crop full at night and empty in the morning? Any funky smells coming from her mouth?

I'd definitely take her to vet if you can. 10 days is a long time for these symptoms especially if no improvement after giving eletrolytes and hand feeding.

Yeah we thought she may have a sour crop first but it seems to empty at night and it is not hard either ... Any idea what else it may be?

It sounds like she's getting weak u, u can try to feed her some boiled egg mashed up or a bit of wet cat food to try to entice her otherwise u may need to syringe or tube feed her or look up torpedo feeding. If it's been days w/o food she will definitely decline unless u can get some food and water in her. Any idea what started the diarrhea?

It sounds like she's getting weak u, u can try to feed her some boiled egg mashed up or a bit of wet cat food to try to entice her otherwise u may need to syringe or tube feed her or look up torpedo feeding. If it's been days w/o food she will definitely decline unless u can get some food and water in her. Any idea what started the diarrhea?
Hi! I will feed her the eggs for sure! We have no idea what started the diarrhea she was fine one days and the next we simply saw she no longer came out of her coop with energy and did not eat... Today her crop seems to feel as if it was full of water so I am once again thinking sour crop but there is no smell coming from her beak. We have to force feed her and she continues with the diarrhea but her crop seems fuller than it should considering she barely takes anything in... For the past couple days she just tried to lay on her little bed we made her and breathes as if she was agitated at some points and with her little beak open. When we feed her she continues to make noices as if she was gargling or gasping a bit but no noices once we stop feeding her... Anything else I can please try? We don't really have a vet that can treat poultry around

Back
Top Bottom