Help. Chicken won't stand correctly. Little white foam on mouth. Just out of it

Every time I have a chicken with this issue, won't stand up, lets me approach and pick her up without resisting, flops over when I put her down, she's dead within 3 or 4 days. I had a turkey with the same issue that I culled.

If the powder is added to the water, are the eggs still safe to eat? How long until the antibiotic is completely out of the system of the birds when treating the entire flock?

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away...

Do you know how to tube feed?

-Kathy

We found that the sticky matted feathers are in exact location that hens put their head when they sleep during the day. Thinking some discharge from eye or beak or nostril is causing it. Sick hen is more responsive today. But not 100%, otherwise really even 50%. But better. I've never dewormed, so maybe a problem, the dead hen and this one felt emaciated, so something is affecting their digestion. I've observed the sick hen eating and drinking all day. Tapeworm?? And if so, could it affect 3 hens? Bad situation, but I've learned a ton, and appreciate everyone's advice?

Google capillary worms. Treatment for them is Safeguard liquid or paste at 0.23 ml per pound for five consecutive days.

-Kathy

We found that the sticky matted feathers are in exact location that hens put their head when they sleep during the day. Thinking some discharge from eye or beak or nostril is causing it. Sick hen is more responsive today. But not 100%, otherwise really even 50%. But better. I've never dewormed, so maybe a problem, the dead hen and this one felt emaciated, so something is affecting their digestion. I've observed the sick hen eating and drinking all day. Tapeworm?? And if so, could it affect 3 hens? Bad situation, but I've learned a ton, and appreciate everyone's advice?

Glad she is a little better. Talk to your vet about de-worming with Safeguard (Fenbendazole).

-Kathy

Yes, they can all get worms, and they won't all necessarily show symptoms at the same time, either. The worm eggs are spread in the droppings and then the birds ingest them, eventually. Capillary worms kill. They are very hard to get rid of. They are also very common; I believe more common in birds than tapeworm. Safeguard does work, but I like to alternate dewormers since we had the Capillary worm problem in our flock, so that the worms do not have a chance to develop as much resistance. . Valbazen is good too...so is Levamisole. Strike 3 is a good alternate. You should be able to get Safeguard suspension from your vet, as well as in the feed stores. If we use Safeguard, I like the suspension, rather than the paste, but it's a matter of preference. Any broad spectrum dewormer..just make sure it will address capillary worms, especially. Many dewormers will not kill tapeworm, though.

The worms wouldn't cause the air saculitis directly, but they can lower immune resistance which opens up the door to all kinds of things. And they will kill the birds on their own, if you don't deworm. Guaranteed.

good that she is eating and drinking, that is always a very good sign. You can offer her a little special food mixed with her feed to tempt her further; our sick birds like applesauce, and small soft breadcrumbs made very damp with buttermilk. Yogurt and scrambled or chopped hard boiled egg can tempt sick birds with poor appetite, too. Or chopped tomato or grapes. There's a whole list of stuff you can try.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom