Help. Chicken won't stand correctly. Little white foam on mouth. Just out of it

The time I used it it cause muscle necrosis at the site. Tissue died and left a hole about the size of half a grape in her breast.

-Kathy

Oh.... my.....
ep.gif

MrsB

Called a vet out. I had a hen die randomly laying down in the coop. The sick girl got examined. Vet said air sack looked bad, all signs shown sick, but no definitive cause. Gave a shot. Not tylan. More powerful. Vet was worried about next 24 hours.

Here is the weird thing. Sick bird has sticky matted feathers as shown in pick. So did dead bird, and one other in coop.

Sick and dead bird are very skinny. Vet showed me how to check their breast meat.

Rest of birds have good amount of meat.

Vet was most intrigued by sticky, matted feathers. Like other birds were pecking them, but why sticky? Why matted? Why in exact same place?

She believes the new 3 hens I added came with something.

Sad day..

That is interesting about the Tylan, I have never tried it.

It would be interesting to know what antibiotic the vet used. I have no idea about sticky matted feathers. could they be from an air sack or something rupturing?

So sorry for your loss. :( Maybe the antibiotic will help your sick hen. Have you considered getting a necropsy done on the bird that died? It would help you and your vet a lot in knowing how to treat the others.

Also, I would be surprised if the feed stores do not have Oxytet. It comes in a package and is water soluble. If they were mine, I would ask the vet about starting the flock on some antibiotic as a whole, that you could put in the drinking water.

Poxycyline. 1.5ml injected into pectoral. I have to do a follow up shot in 5 days. They offered to do labs at 150. She did exam dead bird, same wound/sticky matted feathers and very skinny . Honestly, the chickens aren't pets, they are for egg production for b our family and being that they are hybrid breeds with a 3 year production lifespan , it's just not worth the labs. She wants me to give tylan to the rest of the flock. She is going to text me the dosage.

Every time I have a chicken with this issue, won't stand up, lets me approach and pick her up without resisting, flops over when I put her down, she's dead within 3 or 4 days. I had a turkey with the same issue that I culled.

If the powder is added to the water, are the eggs still safe to eat? How long until the antibiotic is completely out of the system of the birds when treating the entire flock?

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away...

No,, don't eat the eggs for two to three weeks after treatment ends, regardless of what kind of antibiotic it is. . I always say three, just to be safe.

,Sometimes a necropsy can shed light on what is going on, that you can correct, and it is useful regardless of whether they are pets or for egg production. Dealing with sick ones is a hassle which can sometimes be easily corrected with preventative measures, is all I'm saying. Many States will do a necropsy for a small fee...Ohio is not one of them, they are pretty expensive here, but t it's worth checking out wherever you are. If you don't want to do a necropsy on this bird, there are steps you can take to make sure your flock stays as healthy as possible. They should be on a regular deworming schedule...at least twice a year... with a broad spectrum dewromer. Strike 3 I like as a preventative dewormer, cause there's no withdrawal period. Make sure external parasites are controlled too...feed them commercial feed, and there are other things you can do too, a long list to choose from. Lots of people like adding organic acv to the water on a regular basis, and oregano oil is another good one. Just some suggestions. It has been said here before, many times, that parasites are in many cases the root of all other health issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom