Help! Chickens attacked my 12 wk old guinea...

LivingFate

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
I moved my baby guinea that I've had in my basement this whole time yesterday- he's about 12 wks old. Checked on him today was fine, I must not have closed to door well that divided him to the rest of the chicken flock because I just went in to check on him and the chickens were out in the run he was in the coop divider open and they pecked him bloody- I don't have the stomach for this so- so far from what I can see without really inspecting him his whole neck that leads to his back is plucked to the tendon I am assuming? Maybe bone? No feathers, no flesh just two white strips ontop whether it be bone or tendons.

He is still alive, I brought him back indoors and put him under the heat lamp with some food and water. The cameras in the babies room where he's sleeping right now so I can't take any pics.

Help!!! I feel so sick. Is there anything I can do????

omg, so sorry to hear of this attack
sad.png

Here's a link to some good advice on wound care http://shilala.homestead.com/woundcare.html

Hopefully
this will help - be strong!

Ok I had to work so didn't have time to go to a farm store, the guinea is still alive, thak god. What I do have is neosporin w/pain relever-sp, peroxide, and iodine tincture at home.

The iodine tincture is 2% -has iodine 2%, alcohol 47% by volume, deionized water, sodium iodine 2.4%- Can I use this? Do I dulute it? Do I just pour some on or try to find a spray bottle?

Quote:
Ack1 NO pain relievers in the neosporin. Lydocaine (sp?) and anything with a 'caine' is toxic to birds. At least this is what I have read. Use only plain antibiotic ointment.
Poor baby, I hope he can survive. There was a case of a chick with its head pecked to the skull bone a week or so ago. Last I heard, it was thriving with some TLC from the owner.

Back
Top Bottom