Help chickens breathing is super loud!

Jparsons

Chirping
Dec 18, 2018
I unlocked my chickens today, they seem to have no issues and when I went outside to unlock them I came across a chicken acting normal but her wheezing sounds terrible, I don't know what it would be. My first thought was respiratory infection, so we brought her inside in a dark bedroom. I was wondering if there was anything else I could do for her she has warm water as well. Will post a video below shortly.

Thank you in advance.

I'm sorry you feel like your hen is sick. I watched the video a couple times but wasn't able to pick up on anything super obvious. I am partially posting to keep it up at the top of the forum. I wish I could help.

I am sorry about your hen. Hopefully it’s not respiratory! Just keep and eye on her in case she starts to show any other symptoms. You can look into her beak and make sure there are no lesions or bad oder. If her gasping doesn’t have a cracking or raspy tone to it (like it is coming from her lungs) she may have something stuck in the back of her throat.

It sounds like your chicken has stridor, which is a sound they can make when they get a small piece of food, a mucus plug in the airway, or some swelling of the airway. It may clear up in a few hours, as it does in many of these cases. If there is sneezing, there could be a respiratory infection. Look for nasal drainage, watery or bubbly eyes, sneezing, crackly breathing. If it doesn’t clear by morning then you may want to see a vet or think about an antibiotic if you see any other symptoms.

It sounds like your chicken has stridor, which is a sound they can make when they get a small piece of food, a mucus plug in the airway, or some swelling of the airway. It may clear up in a few hours, as it does in many of these cases. If there is sneezing, there could be a respiratory infection. Look for nasal drainage, watery or bubbly eyes, sneezing, crackly breathing. If it doesn’t clear by morning then you may want to see a vet or think about an antibiotic if you see any other symptoms.
Okay thank you, I noticed it at like 330 this afternoon and she is still doing it as of now, at midnight but other then that she seems to eat and everything. We took food from her for the night and just gave her water.

Back
Top Bottom