Help - chickens dropping dead!!!

TarHeelBlue

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Yukon, Oklahoma
Hens less that 1 year old, finding them dead in the coop. One at at time. I am not noticing coughs, watery eyes, sneezing or drainage. the only odd thing I have seen is a milk chocolate colored poop that looks like pudding. Any suggestions? Antibiotics? I don't know where to start. No one "looks" sick, but I have found 3 so far , with the last one just now, dead on the floor.

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I cant really help you, but maybe someone else can.
hugs.gif

could you perhaps give a bit more detail like breed of hens, surroundings, housing, diet?
also when were they last wormed, have they ever been treated for lice/mites?

Hi TarHeelBlue, So sorry to here of your girls.
Just today we had the same thing happen with one of ours. I'm not certain of her age probably at least a year. We got her about mid January with 4 others. No one seems sick.
Last evening when it was roosting time I noticed that she was not with the rest. She was across the yard all by herself. She'd pick at her feet a little and move about when I got close but other wise just stayed put. I gave here a few minutes then forced the situation as it was getting dark. She made it to the coop with a bit of coaxing then went to the corner and I caught her and put her in a box. My daughter found her this AM and no one seemed to have pecked at her or anything.

She is a Cochin Bantam.

We have chicks, 4 with a hen, and the others, (now 7) are in and out of the coop. What do we need to do to prevent or help this possible not spread what ever it is.

We feed them an all-in-one layer crumble and some Omega stuff, sorry cannot come up with the name.
We live in Southern Oregon
They are mostly loose in the yard. So there are other birds about and cats.
Never wormed and last time I dusted for mites was in the Fall.

I thank you to for your thoughts on this.

Lice or mites or worms...probably all three. Visually inspect them for lice/mites. Take a poop sample to a vet and have them check for worms, they'll aso check for cocci.

I have used wazine in the water, but we are going to switch to the Ivermectin Eprinex pour on made for cattle. You put it on the back of the neck on the skin and it kills internal worms AND external lice, and mites. I like the idea of getting them all at the same time. there is no egg withdrawal, so you can eat the eggs. I think it is 0.5 cc for large fowl. Someone correct me if that doesnt sound right. It is a little more pricey, but knocks out 2 problems with one product. Hope that helps.

I just bought some of this-Ivermectin pour on for cattle - Anybody know the correct dose?/ I have seen everything from drops to the .5cc for large fowl?? and no egg withdrawal???? that sounds great Is this right? Need correct dose and can we eat the eggs??? Thanks Chickengirl!!!!

Back
Top Bottom