Help chickens in my back yard!!

Dalina92

Hatching
Jan 22, 2018
My neighbours have a lot of chickens.. Those chcikens roam around anywhere they want. I dont have a problem with it. The only thing is that they come into my back yard and i have a dog.. my yard is safely secured so my dog doesnt get out. This morning my dog attacked on of those chickens in OUR BACKYARD.. Can i get i get in trouble if my dog kills one of those chickens in my yard?? I live in yuba county.. Ive already tried looking up laws for chickens but nothing comes up for chickens trespassing.. I dont want any problems with anyone.

If the chicken is on your property you aren't responsible. If your dog went over to their yard and did it you would be. Like has been suggested document your dog's containment situation "just in case" and have a chat with the chickens owners and express your concerns. If that fails call animal control, because they are doing their chickens a disservice by letting them get in harm's way.

Seems like keeping control of his animals and making them safe is your neighbor's responsibility. Naturally, you don't want a tragedy on your hands but your dog should rightfully be able to use your yard and, essentially, be a dog.

I'd say a friendly notice that you do have a dog and it does use the yard is in order. Then your neighbor will just have to take his/her responsibilities seriously. Maybe you could attach some helpful info about clipping his birds' wings so they stay safely in their own confines.

I don't believe you can be held liable for your dog attacking wandering chickens. That being said, if I were in your shoes, I would not want to set a precedent for my dog learning to kill chickens. So, talk with the neighbors, and tell them what you expect: "The neighbor will keep his birds home." The next time a chicken flies the fence, call your local ACO, and see what other options can be employed. Above all else, keep a paper trail. Document your conversations with all parties involved. If possible, have a witness. When you call your ACO, let him know that you are documenting the issue.

I would document the fact that the chickens are entering your back yard. Then I would talk to the neighbor. If they do not correct the situation, I would then talk to local animal control authorities. Good luck in resolving this.

Back
Top Bottom