Help! Chickens laying eggs on floor and pooping in nesting boxes.

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
Ok so this is my first time own chickens. My chickens finally started to lay eggs but they are laying them on the floor. I found one in the nesting box but it was broken. The nesting boxes are full of poop everyday. My roosting bars are higher than the boxes so I don't understand.... I will try to post a pic of the coop in a few

Pictures will help, and pullets are just learning how to do things. Fake eggs in the nest boxes, comfortable nest materials, and a roost in front about 9" from the boxes helps too. The birds will walk along it to pick their box for the day. The top of my nest boxes needs to be at a much steeper angle, but otherwise it all works fine. Mary

Only some of my birds are laying. I have 12 hens. Maybe 3 or 4 are laying. I still have a whole bag of startee crumbles. Should i continue that still since not all are laying?

Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. You can keep them on a starter or grower until they are all laying and then switch. Just make sure they have access to a source of calcium for those that are starting to lay.
If they are sleeping in the nest boxes, you may need to block them off at night. You may need to physically place them on the roosting bars in the evening to teach them to roost there.
Dummy eggs in the nest boxes will encourage the pullets to use them. It takes time for new layers to get the hang of things.

Back
Top Bottom