HELP!!!!!! Chicks insides are coming out,it died

dragonchick

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 30, 2007
The little chick that hatched yesterday seems to be herniating. There is a large red bubble filled with what looks like innards coming out its back end where the cloaca should be. It was fine last night and at 5 this morning but now its looks very sick. Can anything be done or is my first and only chick dying?

Last edited:
Quote:
I so sorry, but I'm thinking not. I've had the same problem before. You may want to separate it from the other chicks..let it be for a while...
hugs.gif

Oh wait, did you say this is your only chick? I'm so sorry, didn't notice that until I came back. Did you have other eggs that just didn't hatch?

Last edited:
Here is a not so good picture of the little chick. There are no other chicks as this was the only one to hatch. I moved it out of the hatcher to what now will be the brooder since the humidity will be much less. The little chick is laying in a damp paper towel since it won't be still.

PICT0809.jpg

We must have posted at the same time.
Well, it wasn't what I thought it was..I really haven't had one like that. I guess all you can do is wait and see..not sure what that is??

I'm so sorry, that doesn't look good.
When I read your post I was thinking l;ittle omphalitis that could be push back in but looks like a prolapse now if your chick looked fine yesterday and now looks like that then I can't see a positive outcome. I'm so sorry.
Wait for someone else to confirm, but I think I'd cull because that doesn't look like the chick can either recover or not be in discomfort. So sorry.
sad.png

The chick popped the bubble and I am not sure what it is either. Its not innards and its not blood. Maybe the yolk sac wasn't absorbed all the way? The fluid that came out looked similar to a very thin BBQ sauce. It wasn't red or brown but a brownish orange. The little chick is still active.

Hmmm, now I don't know then. So, yesterday it looked normal right?
And its from the cloaca not the umbilicus?

Not exactly sure where its from as I have never had a chick hatch before. Let me see if I can describe it in better detail.

When the little chick was crawling around there was a small puckered spot toward the back where the tail feathers would form. This is where the bubble came out. I didn't see anything on the abdomen but I will look. I just looked and the spot does look to be ahead of the tail so it could be the abdomen. Its still trying to move around and cheeping loudly. I am going to spray it with iodine and hope for the best. Since it no longer has what I am guessing is a yolk sack I am going to give it a drop of water to keep it from dehydrating.

I looked up this condition and it says its from a dirty incubator. The incubators were cleaned with bleach before use so I don't know why it would be dirty. It also says it can be caused by high humidity. The humidity had been a little high when the storms came through but went back down afterward.

I don't expect the little chick to make it but I did what I could to save him since the little guy/gal is my first ever hatchling. I cleaned the area really well and snipped off the sac that was hanging out since there was no way I could push it back in. It wasn't doing the chick any good since it had popped so all I did was remove the excess weight. I put iodine on the opening and closed it up with a DuoDerm skin patch. The patch will breathe and let air circulate but keep out germs.

While I was cleaning and working on the little chick I noticed the hole is in the abdomen, and the outcome is pretty bleak but I have to do what I can.

None of the other eggs have hatched but I will not let this setback stop me from hatching others.

Back
Top Bottom