HELP! chicks starting to hatch dont know wat to do!

bufforphington

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 29, 2012
hi! i have two adorable little chicks that have already hatched. they are both still in the nesting box with their momma in the coop. they look really hot, thirsty and hungry. i have no idea what to do!

Do they have access to food and water? Dip their beaks and maybe make a mash with water and crumbles...
Cathy

uh, they are in a small box/nesting box w/their momma. a mash of food as in mix chick feed and water, let it soak and feed it to them?
(should i just move them out of the coop?)

Yes I would add water to the crumble and leave it a bit soupy. And make sure they have access to water, if your crumble and water is liquidy enough they will get enough just out of the mixture. I personally would move mama and chicks out to a tote if they could be bothered by other hens. Hope this helps.
Cathy

You might want to move them out of the coop, and make shore they have food and water usually the mama hen will show them how to eat and drink

Good luck

I would suggest leaving them all alone until the rest of the chicks are done hatching. They don't need to eat right away - they consume the yolk before hatching and can go up to 3 days without food. Just let them be and let the mama do her job. If you mess with them too much, she may abandon the nest and the rest of the eggs will die before they hatch. Once they've all hatched, make sure they are able to get out of the box, and the mama will take them to the waterer and show them how to drink.

Make sure moma has food and water near her and leave everything alone they can stay without food and water for a day or two thats how they can be mailed. Mom should know what to do dont start worring till at least a day or more after hatch. She will sit on the nest for a day or two and let the rest hatch then take everyone to get a drink and nibble. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom